The VentureFizz Podcast: Brendan Schwartz and Chris Savage - Founders of Wistia
Wistia is a company that creates video software for growing businesses and they’ve helped over 500,000 of them. What is truly amazing about the Wistia story is how the business has grown with a very limited amount of outside capital and they have gone on to build one of the marque B2B software brands in the industry.
Here’s a very random fun fact that I have to share about Wistia. You know when you go to the team section of a company’s website. Then you mouse over the photo and it switched over to a different picture? Well, Wistia invented this style and in the early days of the company their team page went viral and ended up landing them a bunch of customers. It is a simple, yet effective example of their creativity and over the long-term, their approach to content marketing is probably one of the best examples out there.
If one word could sum up this episode it would be transparency which is a trait that I admire about Brendan and Chris. They share lots of stories about getting the business off the ground, to all the trials and tribulations, and lots of amazing advice.
In this episode of our podcast, we cover lots of topics, like:
- Brendan and Chris’ background story prior to starting Wistia.
- All the details about how they founded Wistia and started to gain traction.
- A cool story about how they had to make a hard decision by saying “no” to HBO as a potential customer and why that decision ended up being an important one for their future.
- Why they didn’t take on traditional venture capital to fund the growth of the business and what led them down the path of taking on $17M in debt financing last year.
- How they have built a strong culture that is centered around transparency.
- Plans for future growth.
- Plus, a lot more.
Ok - quick side note… This is exciting because you have two options for catching this episode. You can either listen to the audio from your favorite podcast app or, for this special episode, you can watch the full video of this interview! The video version is classic, as the background from one of their in-house studios at Wistia looks like a Blockbuster store with real VCR movies in the background. Don’t miss it!
You can listen to the podcast in the player below. To make sure you receive future episodes, please subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, Spotify, or Soundcloud. If you enjoyed our show, please consider writing us a 5-star review—it will definitely help us get the word out there!