We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as a tech startup within a Fortune 100 company, we are leading a digital disruption that will redefine how people experience insurance.
Liberty Mutual Global Risk Solutions (GRS) Technology is actively searching for a Director of Data Architecture within the Global Data & Advanced Analytics Platform team. You will work with the data-centric product teams to design and build data architectures for our global businesses including National Insurance, Liberty International Underwriters, IronShore, Liberty Specialty Markets, and Liberty Mutual Surety across 19 countries and the full insurance value chain. We are looking for someone who enjoys working in a highly collaborative environment that values speed and quality, with a strong desire to drive change as we continue our data transformational journey.
In this position, you will lead a team of data architects and be responsible for articulating and driving aspects of the GRS Data Strategy and the architectural vision and strategy, as well as developing and validating the architecture and solution design aligned to critical business capabilities. You will provide technical expertise, guide, and mentor the architecture and development teams on methodologies, processes and best practices on cloud data architectures, data science platforms, event-driven architecture, and API-enabled data services.
About the role:
- Defines objectives and development plans in alignment with IT and business objectives.
- Manages team to achieve business results. Manages on-demand resource needs and ensures the right staff is in place to support operational needs.
- Defines technical development priorities for talent, identifying training needs and opportunities.
- Leads technology strategy, vision, and change management in support of the GRS Data Strategy.
- Leads the architecture and technical teams and has responsibility for data architecture and data technical design for multiple business units across our global organization.
- Establishes technology direction for data and infrastructure platforms, products and tools.
- Recommends emerging technological solutions to increase market share and reduce operational costs.
- Deliver business value and improve decision making by identifying and building data solutions, self-service data and reporting capabilities in alignment with business priorities and GRS Data Strategy.
- Provide frameworks for various technologies including Teradata, AWS, Denodo, SAS, Informatica, and others.
- Ensures data architectural designs are consistent, maintainable, flexible, and cost effective.
- Ensures data security and privacy standards are implemented including: role based security, encryption, tokenization, and obfuscation.
- Helps develop architectural strategies and direction which allows the business to deliver new customer engagement models.
- Develops the data architecture and governance models for systems of engagement and provides the framework for integrating source systems with the transactional databases or data warehouses.
- Provides the framework for defining the data model of the operational database or data warehouse
- Provides strategic guidance to senior leadership for data movement strategies, data obfuscation (data masking), record retention strategy (Deletion and Archival), data infrastructure/security, the operational data store (ODS) and the operational reporting strategy.
- Analyzes the technology industry and market trends to determine potential impact on the business.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in technical discipline; Master's preferred.
- 10+ years of data architecture experience in a complex, multi-platform distributed environment.
- Experience in designing, developing, and deploying cloud-based solutions which leverage cloud provided platforms.
- Experience in data warehousing concepts and techniques.
- Experience in Master Data Management (MDM) concept, tools, and best practices.
- Experience in agile methodology and CI/CD principles.
- Extensive, real-world experience, in designing enterprise solutions.
- Extensive experience in layered solutions and designs, diverse technical configurations, across multiple technologies and processing environments.
- In-depth understanding of business operations, objectives and strategies including but not limited to, insurance industry, financial services, global business, architecture, technology trends, as well as security minded.
- Knowledgeable in software engineering languages and tools; proficient new and emerging technologies.
- Exceptional leadership, coaching, mentoring, communication and interpersonal skills - including negotiation, facilitation, and consensus building skills; ability to influence and persuade, without direct control. High degree of flexibility and ability to work with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Strong desire to drive change, and ability to adapt to change quickly.
- Strong consulting skills (relevant/technical); recognized as a thought leader within the company.
- Ability to balance the long-term "big picture" and short term implications of decisions.
- Experience with AWS Native (e.g. S3, Redshift, Athena), Teradata, MySQL, SQL Server, NoSQL technologies.
- Experience in defining, and evangelizing, the use of reference architectures and repeatable implementation patterns
- Strong understanding of data security and approaches such as secure development practices and code-level application security (e.g. identity and encryption).
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.