The VentureFizz Podcast: Sarah Hodges - Partner at Pillar
Prior to becoming a Venture Capitalist, Sarah spent a decade as an operator in consumer and enterprise companies like Carbonite, Runkeeper, and Smarterer. As part of the executive team at Smarterer, she oversaw business strategy, operations, and marketing. As you may know, the company was acquired by Pluralsight in 2014 and still today, it has a rapidly growing office in the Boston tech scene.
Pillar is an early-stage venture firm that is on a mission to build the next generation of anchor companies in Boston with a model that has common alignment with the founders. Some of its portfolio companies include PillPack, Soofa, Desktop Metal, Hometap, PathAI, and more.
In addition to being a Partner at Pillar, Sarah is a board member at the New England Venture Capital Association and was a Co-Founder of Intelligent.ly.
In this episode of our podcast, we cover lots of topics, like:
- Sarah’s background story in terms of all the operating roles she’s held including the details behind the acquisition by Pluralsight.
- Her career path into the Venture Capital industry as a Partner.
- Everything you need to know about Pillar, including how the firm is differentiating itself from other investors and why they are doubling down in Boston.
- Advice for founders who are trying to raise funding.
- When you should bring in someone to run marketing.
- Plus, a lot more.
As you may know, we publish lots of great stories every day on VentureFizz that share a lot of information about companies, their people, and their culture. Did you know that you can get these stories delivered to your inbox every day? All you need to do is sign up for our Daily Stories email and you’ll be plugged in. Go to venturefizz.com/email to sign up.
You can listen to the podcast in the player below. To make sure you receive future episodes, please subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, Spotify, or Soundcloud. If you enjoyed our show, please consider writing us a 5-star review—it will definitely help us get the word out there!