Last Thursday, VentureFizz and Collective hosted an event that was focused on incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion into your employment branding strategy. Thanks to Rapid7 for hosting - which was a spectacular venue!
The panel included:
- KeyAnna Schmiedl - Global Head, Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion - Wayfair
- Kiera Penpeci - Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity Business Partner - Drift
- Vanessa Spatafora - Sr. Program Manager of Inclusion, Equity + Belonging - DraftKings
- Tracy Cashman - Director, Executive Recruiting - Rapid7
Here are the key takeaways from the discussion:
1. Be authentic about the journey you’re on regarding DEI. If you put a lot of pictures of people of color on your site (but that’s not what your actual office looks like), people will realize it when they come in for an interview.
2. Invite underrepresented people to be groundbreakers and help shape the company culture. Acknowledge that they may be the first, but tell them how you plan to support them in being successful at the company (and be prepared to follow through).
3. Having a strong employer brand is great, but if you aren’t broadcasting it in the places where the people you’d like to attract are at, it won’t do you any good.
Kellie Wagner is the Founder & CEO of Collective, a diversity, equity, and inclusion consultancy and research lab, shifting how organizations build, grow, engage, and retain diverse teams. Follow Kellie on Twitter: @kelliemwagner.