Episode #283 of The VentureFizz Podcast features Oisin O'Connor - Co-Founder & CEO of Recharge.
One piece of advice that many successful entrepreneurs share with other founders is to wait as long as possible before you raise outside funding. The longer you can stay as a successful bootstrapped company, the more leverage you will have when you are finally ready to raise capital and negative the company’s valuation.
For Oisin and his Co-Founder, Mike Flynn, they took a very smart approach to building their business. They built a product development agency and launched several products to solve different problems with a focus on eCommerce. From this approach, they were able to fund their business until they had the right product where they could build a massive business.
This ended up being Recharge, a subscription payments solution helping eCommerce merchants of all sizes launch and scale subscription offerings. Case in point to my earlier statement, the company was self-funded for over five years before raising capital. Its latest round of funding was a $277M growth round of capital at a $2.1B valuation.
In this episode of our podcast, we cover:
- Advice on building a remote-first company and how to create a vibrant and inclusive culture.
- Oisin’s background story and why he chose the entrepreneurial path.
- All the details on their product development agency and how it funded the business.
- Finding product market fit with Recharge and how the company has scaled over the years.
- Product Distribution Fit - what is it and why does it matter for entrepreneurs.
- And so much more.