The shift of founders building startups in other regions outside of Silicon Valley is an interesting trend that has been taking shape especially since the pandemic hit and working with remote employees really hit its stride.
So, what does it take to build a thriving tech ecosystem in a city or region? Well, it takes a lot of different components plus you need the people who can execute on a vision.
Lakshmi is a builder of these ecosystems from her time in Chicago to what she is doing now in terms of building up a robust startup scene in Tampa Bay, Florida. As CEO of Embarc Collective, she has helped to build out the vision of Jeff Vinik, who is the owner of the Tampa Bay Lighting. Today, Embarc Collective is thriving with a 32,000 sq ft facility and over 100 startups.
In this episode of our podcast, we cover:
- Detailed advice on how to build out a successful tech ecosystem.
- Lakshmi’s background story and the foundational years of her career.
- Her experience at 1871 which is Chicago’s technology hub for over 450 startups.
- How she landed her current position at Embarc Collective and what they have accomplished over the past 4+ years.
- A deep dive into the tech scene in Tampa Bay.
- Three tips on how founders should leverage their own local startup community.
- And so much more.