Lars is a serial entrepreneur with multiple successful exits, as he has built companies to capitalize on the growth of mobile adoption. It’s a fun discussion and a nice trip down mobile memory lane, like remember when you would get billed by your mobile carrier if you purchased a ring-tone?
Not only has Lars had successful exits but his last two companies have been acquired by two world-class organizations: Apple and Mastercard. Thus, he shares some great stories, including some insights into the negotiation process with Steve Jobs, which does not disappoint!
For Mastercard, the acquisition has been a massive success, as the company is rapidly expanding this division in Boston with a new 25,000 sq ft state-of-the-art office space in Post Office Square and the Data & Services team is hiring across the board. They are also investing back into the local tech ecosystem through various charitable initiatives such as TUGG, Build Boston, Girls4Tech with the Red Sox Foundation, and more.
In this episode of our podcast, we cover:
- A discussion around the key factors that Lars looks for when deciding to go all-in on an idea for a business.
- His background growing up and the details on his first startup which was a photo-sharing app and how he later get involved with the team at m-Qube.
- All the details around Quattro Wireless and how the company disrupted the mobile web.
- Building SessionM and the tough decision to pivot a successful business which led to its ultimate acquisition by Mastercard.
- Lars’ experience as an investor and how it benefits him in terms of learning.
- Hiring advice for building out your team at an early-stage company.
- And so much more.