The VentureFizz Podcast: Nigel Eccles - Co-Founder and CEO at Flick
Nigel is a serial entrepreneur with a tremendous track record. If you are a fan of football, you are probably very familiar with the TV ads from his previous company. He’s a Co-Founder and former CEO of FanDuel, one of the leading companies that emerged in the daily fantasy sports category. The company raised over $400M in funding and was acquired Paddy Power Betfair just over a year ago.
His latest startup, Flick, is focused on building communities around podcasts. The app allows audiences to engage and communicate on a much deeper level with the content, the creators, and other members of the community. The company has raised over $4M to date.
In this episode of our podcast, we cover lots of topics, like:
- The game of Shinty, the coolest stick-and-ball sport you probably haven’t heard of.
- Nigel’s decision to take a major risk at an interesting stage of his life and start his first company called Hubdub, the precursor to FanDuel.
- A deep dive into the history of FanDuel, including the story behind its founding, where the name came from, how it scaled over time, and lots more.
- What it was like running a hypergrowth company.
- All the details behind his current startup Flick.
- Advice on finding a co-founder.
- How to build a consumer product, as well as the acquisition strategies behind it.
- Plus, a lot more.
The VentureFizz Job Board is blowing up! There are so many amazing opportunities to check out across the hottest tech companies in NYC. You’ll find positions at all levels of experience across all job functions like product, engineering, sales, marketing, customer success, UX, and more. Go to venturefizz.com/jobs to start searching.
You can listen to the podcast in the player below. To make sure you receive future episodes, please subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, Spotify, or Soundcloud. If you enjoyed our show, please consider writing us a 5-star review—it will definitely help us get the word out there!