The VentureFizz Podcast: Jared Hecht - Co-Founder and CEO at Fundera
Jared is a serial entrepreneur who credits his success to the combination of a lot of hard work and yes, a bit of luck. He was a co-founder of GroupMe, a group messaging app, that was acquired for around $85M just about one year after the company was started.
His latest company is Fundera, a marketplace for small businesses who are looking for financing options. To date, the company has helped 15,000 small businesses secure well over $850 million through its platform.
In this episode of our podcast, we cover lots of great topics like:
- Jared’s early career aspirations to be in the music industry, including the story of how he offered Vampire Weekend to be their manager.
- How he landed at Tumblr when it was still an early-stage company and what he learned there.
- The full story on GroupMe, including how he met his cofounder Steve Martocci and how they were able to get traction that ultimately led to an acquisition by Skype.
- All the details on Fundera, plus the social mission behind the company and how they are filling such a critical gap in our economy by supporting small business owners.
- The hardest parts of building a company.
- How he evaluates talent at different stages of a business.
- Advice for evaluating investors when raising capital.
- Plus, a lot more.
You can listen to the podcast in the player below. To make sure you receive future episodes, please subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or Soundcloud. If you enjoyed our show, please consider writing us a 5-star review—it will definitely help us get the word out there!