The VentureFizz Podcast: Chris Meade - Co-Founder and Co-CEO of SportsRecruits
It takes courage to be able to take a risk and leave a career to pursue something that is your passion. Although it might be hard at times, they say that if you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life.
Chris is a perfect example of this scenario. He developed a passion for lacrosse that carried over into his college career playing at Wesleyan University. After working in an industry that didn’t inspire him, Chris and his co-founder and teammate, Matt Wheeler, took a risk to start a company around their passion for lacrosse.
They recognized an opportunity to help student-athletes and parents with the recruitment process. Thus, SportsRecruits… or what was originally called LacrosseRecruits, was born.
SportsRecruits, based in Brooklyn, is a platform that helps high school athletes market themselves to college coaches across the country. Think of it like a LinkedIn for college recruitment, where the student-athletes and parents have the tools and communication capabilities to assist with the recruitment process.
In this episode of our podcast, we cover:
- The current state of lacrosse as a growing sport and how the Premier Lacrosse League is getting traction as a professional league.
- Chris’ background and the story of how he left a steady job in real estate to pursue his passion.
- The early days of the company and how their scrappiness built a solid foundation for their business over the years.
- The evolution of their business to where it is today.
- Advice on the recruitment process for high school athletes.
- And more!
Did you know that every Monday morning, we send out two weekly digest emails? There is one for Boston and one for NY. It is your weekly email to stay connected to all the “must-know” information from the local tech scene. It includes information on companies, jobs, events, deals and more. Go to venturefizz.com/email and look for the “Weekly Tech Buzz” to sign up.
You can listen to the podcast in the player below. To make sure you receive future episodes, please subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, Spotify, or SoundCloud. If you enjoyed our show, please consider writing us a 5-star review—it will definitely help us get the word out there!