Working In Boston Tech: TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor gives VentureFizz an inside look at thier company culture, hiring process and what life is like as an employee of "the world's largest travel site!"
There are a lot of amazing technology companies in and around Boston. Many of them are hiring like crazy!
On our BIZZpages alone there are over 100 Boston area tech companies actively recruiting the best talent around. These companies are awesome and we want to help them show off what it's like to be a part of the team and the process a potential employee goes through to get there.
Today, we hear from the team at TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) enables travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching nearly 260 million unique monthly visitors**, and more than 150 million reviews and opinions covering more than 4 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions.
What is it like to work at your company in terms of your culture?
TripAdvisor presents a fast paced, collaborative, ambitious and intellectually curious environment yet in a laid back and fun setting. The number one comment that employees here make is that they work with smart people. TripAdvisor employees are passionate about travel, consumer experience and technology. Our Employee Experience team ensures that the office allows for maximum comfort and productivity. There’s no dress code, there’s always plenty of food and well attended on site happy hours.
What’s the best way to get a job at TripAdvisor?
- Check out our latest openings at tripadvisor.com/careers
- Follow us on twitter @gotripadvisor for career guidance and interviewing tips, culture information and company updates
- Come chat with us at tech conferences and meet ups
- Follow the recruiting team on twitter or connect with them on LinkedIn
What can someone expect during the interview process?
- You’ll meet with several members of the teams with whom you’d be collaborating
- You’ll be given the opportunity to show off your coding/ problem solving skills on the whiteboard.
- You’ll learn about some of our exciting upcoming projects and the path to success at TripAdvisor
- Free snacks and beverages.
What can people expect over the course of their career at TripAdvisor?
- The opportunity to work with some of the leading minds in the technology industry on products used by hundreds of millions of people worldwide
- Continuous learning and development through industry related conferences, on site and online learning classes
- Mobility and promotion within the organization
- Exposure to the global team
Are there any favorite activities that the employees do outside of the office?
- The running team (Team Speed Wins) participates in a 5k series over the summer.
- We have an employee softball team.
- Our Cycle for Survival team recently raised 15K and participated in the Boston spin event.
- We’ve sponsored habitat for humanity build days
- We take part in company service projects for organizations like the Greater Boston Food Bank & Boston Cares
- The TripAdvisor foundation supports many global causes, arranges lunch & learns and organizes volunteer opportunities for employees to learn about various non-profits.
We’re problem solvers and gamers:
- There’s rarely a time that there’s not a chess, scrabble or ping pong game occurring in one of our offices
- We’re fond of classic arcade games and have several available to play in our employee game area
Are there any fun facts or unique stories that you can share about TripAdvisor or individuals that work there?
We started in a small office above a pizza shop in Needham 15 years ago and are returning to our Needham roots with a move to our new (awesome) worldwide headquarters this summer!
Do you have any unique benefits or perks?
- As a company so tied to the Travel industry we have several perks surrounding travel including yearly travel stipends for all employees and discounts on some of our booking sites.
- Circles concierge services
- Gift matching program for charitable donations
- Fitness reimbursement program and free Fitbits
- All sorts of cool swag
What’s on tap or in your fridge?
Lots of beer, red & white wine, vitamin water , snacks, soda, juice
How has your company made an impact on technology and how does this impact the employee experience?
TripAdvisor is the largest online travel community in the world and impacts the lives of hundreds of millions of travelers. It has revolutionized the way that consumers research and book travel as well as how they share their travel experiences. TripAdvisor recognizes the effect that it has had on the travel industry and encourages employees to continue to drive innovation within the industry. The development and product teams are proud of the products that they build and the speed at which they work. The weekly release cycles make it easy to recognize quick results from their hard work.
* Learn more about TripAdvisor and check out their latest Job Openings on their VentureFizz BIZZpage!