Boston Tech Exits From 2016 - By The Numbers
There some speculation that 2017 might see the return of the tech IPO. I guess we'll see what happens soon enough.
Regardless, I'm sure there will be several acquisitions throughout 2017, which was definitely the theme from this past year.
We took a look at the data from our Deals section and found some interesting stats from 2016:
- 75 exits
- 2 IPOs (Acacia Communications and Everbridge)
- 36 companies were acquired by Boston based companies
- 29 companies located in Boston were acquired by companies outside the area
- 5 private equity deals
- 3 mergers
- Akamai was the only company with multiple acquisitions (3)
- The biggest deal was Analog Devices' acquisition of Linear Technology for $14.8B
The biggest takeaway... Boston acquired more companies than it lost. However, that doesn't factor in market value gained versus lost.
Here's a list of what we considered as the top deals from 2016 sorted by date:
LogMeIn merges with Citrix's Go-To Meeting Family of Products - July 26 - the transaction was valued at $1.8B.