Vertica Product Technology Engineer
The Vertica Product Technology Engineer will be a liaison between the customer facing teams and R&D engineers. They will create documentation, cookbooks, and best practices that can be used to assist customers to provide a higher customer experience. They will work with customers directly to handle highly escalated and critical issues as well as educate customers on in depth technical areas.
This person must be self-motivated and have the ability to self-manage projects based on collected feedback and priority. They will need to be a quick study, pay close attention to detail and passionate about helping others. This person will interact with the Technical Account Managers, Professional Services, Technical Support, Escalation Managers, Engineering, Sales Engineers, and other groups within the organization. They will interface directly with customers in the field, on the phone, via e-mail and chat.
Qualified candidates must have:
- Linux skills, scripting experience, and extensive knowledge of SQL.
- Windows skills, ODBC/JDBC client drivers, Java Client and Server applications various web browsers.
- An attention to detail and acute listening skills.
- The ability to resolve and communicate complex issues in a straightforward manner.
- Experience with Vertica is plus.
- At least 3-4 years of professional experience working with a relational database.
- A good understanding of relational database systems including theory, design, and structure.
- Virtualization, Cloud technology, Storage and Network trouble-shooting a plus.
- Experience in one of the following; Python, Java, or C++ preferred.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Operating systems: Linux, Windows, Solaris, HP-UX.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Have the ability to collect and maintain customer use cases to create technical presentations, cookbooks, and best practices.
- Maintain a complete and accurate log of customer use cases, product specifications, testing and technical details.
- Create project plans for testing, implementing and documenting best practices.
- Assist with the Technical Documentation team in providing base documentation creation and review of technical documents.
- Work closely with the Quality Assurance team to collect benchmark data from testing.
- Multitask in a fast paced environment and manage all projects without supervision.
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency using all resources for technical presentations, cookbooks and testing and resolving customer issues.
- Creatively research using a variety of resources, including documentation, knowledge base (solutions), bug database, email groups and the web.
- Demonstrate an ability to increase product and procedural knowledge through self-training, work with peers, and experience with customer issues.
- Create reproducible test cases for Engineering by building test programs and scripts to assist in rapid resolution of issues.
- Document and understand customers needs and capture information to provide improved customer experience.
- Act as a general knowledge resource and provide assistance to peers.
- Communicating product feature requests from customers to Product Management.
- Contributing to product design reviews based on a customer perspective.
- Prepare in the support of new products without extensive formal training.
- Contribute to an internal wiki page for internal transfer or knowledge.
About our team
The best ideas often come from fresh perspectives. At Vertica, our open-minded, diverse and inclusive team is always learning from each other. We approach intellectually challenging work with a "get it done" attitude. Vertica Engineers are given significant latitude and support to pursue what they are passionate about to make Vertica an even better place. If you are excited about building great technology with a proactive team, you will find yourself in good company at Vertica. Welcome to the family.
About our product
Vertica is a recognized leader in analytics powering some of the worlds most data driven organizations like Uber, Wayfair, Intuit, Cerner, and more. Our columnar, MPP, distributed database delivers unprecedented speed, petabyte scale, with analytics and machine learning functions built into the core.
We believe the future belongs to the fast. Join us for the ride!
Micro Focus is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship or any other legally protected status
More Jobs From