goTenna is foundationally disrupting the +$50B global Mesh Networking industry with communication solutions 40x more cost-effective, 12x lighter, 10x smaller and 6x longer-lasting than anything else on the market.
We are seeking a highly skilled, professional Software Engineering leader to join our dynamic and growing team at goTenna’s headquarters in downtown Brooklyn. In this role, reporting to the CEO, you will lead and mentor a team of hardworking, mobile and full-stack software engineers through project planning, execution, and deployment phases of the software development life-cycle. An experienced team manager and software architect who is comfortable handling multiple priorities, projects and personalities will thrive in this position. The ability to define the technical requirements according to your vision for the tech stack and also keep the development team on track is desired. You have significant technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility. You have kept your coding skills sharp and have a passion for solving complex business problems with end-to-end, high performing, engineering solutions. You have the skills required to continuously ship upon software applications and services which deliver on goTenna’s promise to provide mission-critical, always-available connectivity to our customers, whose lives and livelihoods depend on our communications technology.
- Be an effective people manager and a technical leader, mentoring the SW development team and bringing your expertise to guide the design, building, and maintenance of goTenna products codebase
- Develop and maintain software product architecture, including iterative documentation.
- Guide team development efforts, in collaboration with other teams and partners towards successful project delivery
- Work with Product Management and UI/UX design teams to deliver applications with engaging user experiences at their core, all of which should meet guidelines of each respective platform
- Analyze and balance the various constraints of software development – timeline, quality, capacity, etc.
- Gain a sound understanding of our development environment, identify technology gaps and lead initiatives to close them
- Plan and track effective and realistic release timelines, in collaboration with Program Management. using the technical debt factor and finding ways to make the team work efficiently
- Build automated and/or manual processes and supporting metrics and establish best practices to ensure efficiency, maintainability, and quality of development
- Supporting a secure code base that has up-to-date dependencies and is free from vulnerabilities
- Partner with firmware and QA engineering to ship reliable software products on an ongoing basis
Required Qualifications and Attributes
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related.
- 7+ years in software engineering, including 2+ years team management experience; at least some experience at a fast-growing tech startup required.
- Extraordinary team leadership and cross-team skills, and ability to influence others
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & standard methodologies for the full software development process and devops, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes (continuous integration and deployment), testing, and operations
- Knowledgeable of Agile principles and experience leading teams working with Pivotal, Jira, and/or SCRUM methodologies; experience in continuous improvement to the development process.
- Familiarity with Android (Java, Kotlin) and iOS application development (Objective-C and Swift)
- Familiarity with Full Stack Web development + architecture (ideally experience with Vue.js, PHP, Laravel framework)
- Experience crafting and implementing APIs for SDKs
- Experience with cloud computing (Amazon Web Services EC2, S3, etc)
- Commitment to tracking and understanding the latest developments in mobile, web, and full-stack development to ensure one-step-ahead view of changes which could impact the performance of our mission-critical apps and services.
- Track record of developing engineers through various career stages and building high-performance teams.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
It'd Be Awesome If You Had:
- Experience developing software products for connected devices
- Experience building scalable, available, and low-latency systems
- Some background in RF/wireless communications systems
- Familiarity with C language and Embedded Software (our software team collaborates closely with our Firmware team)
- Experience working closely with firmware and hardware teams functions
- An affinity for people who like telling jokes, sharing funny links, doing cool stuff outside work, and being creative about team-building (e.g. survival skills training, murder mystery dinner theater, shuffleboard tournament, Mafia/Werewolf).
- Love for goTenna and our mission to build a distributed communication network from the ground-up!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
More Jobs From