Cogo Labs' consumer finance company, Uplift Financial, is seeking a Manager of Engineering. This position reports directly to Uplift Financial's CEO, and will be a key contributor to Uplift Financial's strategy and growth. Our ideal candidate is a seasoned engineering manager looking to apply their skills to building a company from the ground up. Uplift Financial is incubating at Cogo Labs, an incubator with a track record of success, including EverQuote (Nasdaq: EVER), Autotegrity (acquired, ADP), and CourseAdvisor (acquired, Washington Post).
In this role, you'll be leading Uplift Financial's engineering team and have overall ownership of all technical systems. Your core mission will be to build a strategic plan for the engineering organization, and ensure the team executes against that plan. This includes shipping high-quality, consumer-facing web technology, as well as hiring and developing top talent to ensure our systems provide a stable foundation for rapid business growth. Being effective in this mission will require an ability to be hands-on with our code alongside other engineering staff, while also being a clear strategic thinker. Along the way, you'll work with Uplift Financial's executive team on overall business strategy, bringing your engineering rigor to the process of scaling a company. You will also interface with the top-notch engineering team at Cogo Labs, applying their expertise to Uplift Financial's engineering challenges.
Our technical team currently consists of two engineers and a designer, and we plan to more than double in 2019. We work quickly but thoughtfully - armed with insights from our analytics team and Cogo Labs' competitive intelligence tools, and with technical support from the incubator's stellar engineering team, we're able to do the right things, and do them fast. To enable this without sacrificing code quality, we use GitHub for project management (we prioritize weekly) and code reviews, and make full use of test suites and CI tools. We expect you to be able to identify and correct gaps in our current process, and make us even more effective. Today, our technology includes:
- Git/GitHub for version control, project management, and knowledge-sharing throughout the incubator
- TravisCI to run our builds
- Docker for containerization
- Kuberenetes for orchestration
- AWS infrastructure
- Postgres and MySQL databases
- Python (Django) for our web app
- ReactJS and vanilla HTML/CSS/JS on the front end
- Python scripts to automate email and other internet traffic campaigns
- Deep technical experience, including several years leading technical teams
- Experience with iterative development of consumer-facing technology
- A strong interest in growing a business from the ground up (we're just 10 people today)
- Fluency in at least two of Python, Go, Java, or C
- Familiarity with a front-end framework like React, Vue, or Angular
- Experience working with MacOS or Linux development tools
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Humility and curiosity for technology and business alike
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent discipline
- Previous startup or financial services experience
- Interest in and knowledge of budgeting, investing, or behavioral economics
The world of consumer finance is complex and poorly understood. Uplift Financial simplifies the process of making better financial decisions. Today, our focus is helping consumers find credit products that actually help them get on the right track - no payday loans here. As we grow, we'll be adding new product categories until we're a trusted advisor for every decision in our users' financial lives.
We're a team of engineers, analysts, and managers, working in a rapidly-growing market with the support of Cogo Labs' engineering and business expertise.
We have our values written down in our wiki, and we stick to them. If you think these are important, you'll fit in well.
- Integrity. We treat users and each other honestly, fairly, and with respect.
- Responsibility. We are held accountable for our work and our company's results.
- Drive. We are unwavering in our pursuit of excellence.
More Jobs From