Office Tour Photos
HMH’s Supplemental and Intervention Solutions Group (SIS) incorporates all of the functional areas that work together to develop supplemental, intervention and assessment products for PreK-12. The group has a “digital first” focus, but offers blended solutions across all subject areas. Content is developed for all current interactive digital media formats and platforms.
The Head of Product Management & Strategy, Advanced Placement will report to the EVP and GM for SIS and have responsibility for the P&L and leadership of the product management and strategy for all products in the group’s AP portfolio. He or she will manage the Product Management team to ensure a consistent, integrated approach to mapping product strategy. This is a critical leadership role with respect to informing product development and coordinating with sales, finance, business, global supply, marketing, and other internal groups to ensure market-leading product and successful market strategies. The Head of PM&S designs the portfolio strategy in line with the overall company short and long term objectives and works collaborative with product managers, development teams and product marketing to align everyone on a clear and common vision for each product.
In addition, this leader will play a key role in establishing and managing strategic partnerships to support HMH’s compaywide efforts to develop and offer integrated classroom solutions in coordination with the company’s core solutions, professional learning and next generation platforms groups, among others.
Product Planning & Development:
- Responsible for the P&L for the AP portfolio within SIS;
- Leads the overall planning and competitive marketing strategy for assigned products and solutions to meet revenue and profit goals;
- Works with individual product managers to develop and manage product market opportunities and growth initiatives per discipline/product area;
- Coordinates with HMH SIS leadership to lead and manage the development of new proposals and business cases created by assigned teams;
- Ensures the market and business requirements across assigned products are aligned to customer needs and revenue and profit goals;
- Leads and manages ongoing market intelligence activities and develops deep customer insights and "job-to-be-done" to support new opportunity identification and business case development of new opportunities;
- Collaborates with EVP General Manager of SIS to approve product concepts, business models, and financial alignment for program investment;
Product Life Cycle Management:
- Drives financial performance of entire product group including investment, revenue, and profitability;
- Analyzes and evaluates market performance and product positioning;
- Coordinates with AP marketing leads to benchmark against competition and market;
- Collaborates with project management to determine timeline of product launch and sunset;
- Review and provide input on analysis investment for product maintenance;
- Leads the AP PM&S team to set goals, budget, and business requirements for annual marketing plan developed by product marketing;
- Contributes to go to market strategy for all new solutions across product(s);
- Reviews and makes recommendations on marketing plans;
- Guides sales and product marketing in the transfer of the strategy to tactical and operational execution;
- Direct strategic options and responses before, during, and after key marketing campaigns; work closely with Sales leads to ensure correct strategy and execution;
- Oversee and contribute to market research activities across discipline areas;
- Design product and marketing strategies and positioning using market intelligence;
- Work with product leads to monitor, report, and respond to competitive intelligence;
- Analyze and interpret market data and trends, provide recommendations to teams base on that analysis;
- Manages and monitors financial performance of the SIS AP product line;
- Analyzes product(s) profit and loss statements; collaborates with EVP General Manager, SIS to monitor profitability across products;
- Uses quantitative data and qualitative analysis as the basis for decision making;
- Reviews and approves product-pricing strategy per discipline & product area;
Communication & Supervision:
- Maintains strong, ongoing channels of communication with sales force, marketing, learning architecture teams, and other departments;
- Assembles and leads cross-functional teams to execute processes and plans;
- Leads a team; Reviews and assesses staff through key evaluation points per year.
Relevant Experience & Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree, preferred education MBA or Masters preferably in the content area of focus (as above) or in business management or marketing;
- At least 10 years of experience in supplemental, intervention, K12 educational publishing with managerial experience; AP experience considered a plus;
- Experience with AP education product strategy;
- Experience in editorial, sales, consulting, or teaching in the content area;
- Financial acumen;
- Experience in an entrepreneurial or start-up environment;
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills;
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; superior presentation skills;
- Superior inter-personal skills with all levels including executive management
- Demonstrated conceptual & analytical thinking; vision; leadership & management; prioritization; collaboration; decision-making; negotiation; problem-solving; tactical execution; product & market knowledge.
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Some travel expected
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.
More Jobs From