A Triage Engineer will deliver capabilities in support of maintaining a high level of system quality and vehicle behavior for our autonomous driving technology. Ideal candidates for this position must have experience with system and sub-system level analysis, verification and validation methodologies, and cross team collaboration across software, testing and project management groups. Different from a traditional Software Quality Assurance (SQA) role, this position uniquely cross-cuts across testing and operations functions on the right half of the systems V-model and software development and systems / safety requirements functions on the left half of the V-model.
The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the bustling Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
What You'll Be Doing
- Perform detailed Root Cause Analysis (RCA), Fault Tree Assessment (FTA), Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA) on several different test modalities such as -- public roads, closed course, simulation and Hardware-in-Loop (HIL)
- Closely partner with the software development teams to maintain a rapport for rapid and iterative feedback loop
- Synthesize test output data analysis in relation to the Systems, Safety requirements for the expected AV behavior
- Drive the issue identification, analysis / introspection, mitigation and reporting lifecycle with the software development teams
- Understand the Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Functional Safety (FuSa) and SOTIF requirements to generate, document and report the software issues for effective risk management
- Develop stakeholder documentation such as software release reports, process training, knowledge base for common issues and outbrief content to the Triage external stakeholders
- Optimize and implement Triage processes, collaborate with data platforms, test automation, infrastructure and tooling teams for functional user requirements
- Partner with the engineering and operational teams on integrating Motionals commercial missions into the end-to-end Triage pipeline
- Support building product and system level AV performance metrics across the development and commercial milestones
- Show initiative and be a valued team member in our innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork across locations is the norm
- Partial travel is optionally recommended per business needs but not required for this role
- Other duties as assigned
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor's or higher degree in Engineering such as Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Robotics highly preferred; or at least four years of equivalent knowledge and work experience
- 2+ years of professional experience working on safety critical and complex systems such as -- Robotics, Autonomous Vehicles, Automotive, Medical Devices or Aerospace Technologies
- Experience with software engineering concepts, including requirements analysis, source control, build processes, design reviews
- Experience with Linux and scripting languages (E.g: Bash/Shell, Python)
- Experience using issue tracking and configuration management tools (E.g: Atlassian Confluence, Jira, Bitbucket, Git)
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to think logically and remove bias from evaluation of problems
- Strong troubleshooting, debugging, and analytical and creative problem solving skills
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience with systems verification and validation techniques
- Experience with automotive standards (E.g: ISO 12207, ISO 26262, ISO 21448)
- Experience with software quality management and assurance activities (E.g: IATF 16949, ISO 9001)
- Thorough understanding of robotics systems including sensors, actuators, mechatronics and software systems
- Work in cross collaboration teams to address problems and find solutions
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to convey and detect communication
- The employee is occasionally required to remain stationary at times for up to 50% of working time; operate power tools, move in designated working areas; & operate and use office equipment
- The employee must occasionally move up to 50 pounds
The work environment characteristics described here represent those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The team member is regularly exposed to mechanical and computer parts. The team member is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles. The noise level in the environment is low to moderate.
Because interfacing with the public and/or other employees in a confined setting is an essential function of the job, Motional currently requires those performing this role to be fully vaccinated. Anyone hired into this role should be vaccinated by their start date. Motional is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the Company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
If you dont meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above - thats okay! We encourage you to apply if you think this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and that you can deliver the results we need.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. Were behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, its imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motionals success. Thats why weve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.