Office Tour Photos
About O'Reilly Media
OReillys mission is changing the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, weve been helping people learn new skills, track significant new technologies, and build careers in technology and business. This extends to our employees: we have a long and proud history of encouraging and enabling the people who work here to take advantage of OReillys resources and network to keep learning, take on new challenges, and build careers.
About Your team
The Content Services team produces and distributes a wide variety of OReilly Media products, including books and ebooks; videos, screencasts, and conference compilations; white papers; short lessons; and more. The team applies a diverse set of skills to tasks that require project management, excellent communication, and expertise in traditional software tools such as Word and Adobe Illustrator/Indesign/Photoshop, and newer tools such as Git for version control and markup languages such as HTML, Asciidoc, and XML for content editing. The atmosphere is friendly and technical. You dont need to be a software engineer, but you do need to be curious about new technologies and finding ways to support and improve OReillys current and future products.
The Technical Illustrator creates a wide variety of vector illustrations and raster images for use in OReillys technical book publishing program, both in print and online. Some projects may require you to creatively bring order and clarity to an authors rough draft; others may require careful attention to redraw complex diagrams in our house style; still others may only require standard processing. Through it all, we expect careful attention, timeliness, and commitment to helping our talent and our team deliver great products to our customers.
Illustrations are expected to meet all of our specs, be highly organized, and completed on schedule. The nature of our products requires a somewhat standardized, templated approach to illustrations, which means that opportunities to provide highly creative or imaginative artwork are limited. Much of the day-to-day work involves image processing, with occasional tasks requiring more involved creation of illustrations. Our focus is on consistency and timeliness, which isnt to say that creativity isnt required.
Reporting to the Manager of Multimedia (in Boston, MA), the Technical Illustrator works directly on customer-facing products (books and ebooks) that meet OReillys high production standards. Vector graphics will be created following set style guidelines to assist in conveying complex technical ideas and processes.
- Uses Adobe Illustrator to create vector illustrations for OReillys publishing program
- Works with OReillys book Production Editors to ensure on-time delivery of graphics
- Works on projects throughout their entire lifecycle (creation, delivery, edits, archiving)
- Review all incoming illustrations files and address any problems with readability or technical issues
- Ensure that all final artwork is prepared to our specs and reflects our brand values
- React quickly to requests to have illustrations revised during production stages
- Works on multiple projects simultaneously
Were looking for someone with solid illustrations skills: someone that can take a vague idea and whip it into shape. Much of our work is templated, so we need someone that can also work efficiently to process a high number of files and make sure theyre all to specification. The number of images coming through our department is very high, so we also need someone thats highly organized and responsive. Curiosity about technology and tools is also highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Technical Illustrator must have advanced skills in the following areas:
- Adobe Illustrator (most recent version)
- Adobe Photoshop (most recent version)
- Must be highly organized
- Must be able to multitask across multiple projects with multiple stakeholders
- Solid understanding of typography
- Solid understanding of traditional printing and print-on-demand technologies
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and provide high-quality work to support team goals
- Demonstrated ability to represent company values and work directly with talent
- Demonstrated experience creating compelling graphics for publication (print or online)
- 3 years vector drawing experience with an emphasis on technical illustration
More Jobs From