The Technical Accounting Manager engages in a variety of complex arrangements which affords the new team member the ability to learn and grow. The Accounting team seeks a driven, high-energy individual who will embrace our culture of teaching, learning, and teamwork, and wants to contribute to the companys future success. This position offers high visibility to upper management and tremendous growth potential. The Manager of Technical Accounting is responsible for assisting with special projects, conducting research and providing succinct analysis and conclusions related to technical accounting issues. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in preparation of comprehensive accounting white papers on the Companys critical and new accounting policies, unique transactions, and material judgments referencing all authoritative and industry guidance
- Evaluate and conclude on accounting judgments, including but not limited to, business combinations (ASC 805), capitalized software (ASC 350), debt (ASC 470), investments (ASC 321), leases (ASC 842), capitalized cost to fulfill a contract (ASC 340-40), asset impairments and sales (ASC 360), performance-based and non-performance-based stock awards (ASC 718), contingent liabilities (ASC 450), and various other technical matters
- Support and lead special projects as they arise; historical examples include leading finance integration efforts of acquired businesses, purchase accounting, implementation of new accounting standards such as 842 Leases and ASU 2018-15 Cloud Computing, setting up a derivatives program, and working with the business to implement new accounting policies
- Create and present conclusions to members of senior leadership, including the CFO and other C-suite executives
- Consult with the General Ledger and FP&A teams by providing insight into technical accounting for various topics
- Assist in preparing due diligence of target companies including understanding and analyzing the targets accounting policies
- Assist in leading finance integration efforts of acquired business
Education & Experience Required:
- Current CPA
- 5-6 years experience at a major Public Accounting firm
- Experience in transaction services is a plus
- Bachelors of Arts or Science
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; the ability to communicate complex information and ideas to internal and external parties in an understandable way
Knowledge & Skills:
- High level of energy
- Interest in teaching and learning from others
- Enthusiastic team player
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Our Vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
- Our Location: This role is based in Watertown, MA, just a few miles outside of Boston. Watertown is our Global Headquarters and our campus, the Arsenal on the Charles, is home to several restaurants, a local gym and large outdoor space. This office also has a cafeteria, coffee caf and food trucks that rotate every day.
- Our Culture: At athenahealth, our employees (or athenistas) are committed to making healthcare smarter. Our success is dependent on the diversity, collective spirit, and contributions of our people, clients and partners. We value teamwork and believe that the strength of our team comes from supporting each other and leveraging our specialized skills. If you are looking for a company that will enable you to work outside of your comfort zone to transform the healthcare ecosystem, athenahealth is the place for you.
- Our Perks: Along with health & financial benefits, our athenistas are offered a variety of perks that promote employee wellbeing such as commuter support, collaborative workspaces and dog-friendly offices - just to name a few.