Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is hiring a Corporate Strategy Lead for its Strategy team, who will be responsible for a range of strategic planning activities across new market opportunities. We are looking for an entrepreneurial individual to drive market analysis and prioritization, support business development and corporate development, and work across market leads to build a unified plan. The successful candidate will demonstrate structured thinking, exceptional communication skills, and deep empathy for our customers and partners. The Corporate Strategy Lead will regularly collaborate with executive leadership, finance, product, and all of our go-to-market (GTM) functions to help the organization execute on its mission and operating goals.
The ideal candidate will have experience in or across the following areas: corporate strategy/strategic planning, finance, business development, corporate development, and/or SaaS GTM in a high growth tech company. Experience in or exposure to life sciences is preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Conduct primary qualitative and quantitative market research to build an understanding of end markets, including market sizing (TAM), competitive landscape, and value chain/ecosystem
- Build defensible business cases for market prioritization and sequencing, helping the executive leadership team make long-term product investment decisions
- Consolidate and maintain multi-year strategic plans across prioritized new markets, folding into the overall long range planning activities
- Create and maintain frameworks for customer prioritization, answering the who and when to pursue as it relates to our markets and products
- Formulate initial hypotheses on build vs. buy vs. partner for new markets to be tested while working alongside market leads
- Support business development and corporate development activities, including authoring of partnership roadmaps, conducting initial outreach to prospective companies, and advocating for specific deals in support of market priorities
- 7-10+ years of combined experience working in/across strategy, management consulting, investment banking, venture capital or private equity, business development, and/or corporate development
- Possess a product-centric view of problem solving and an understanding of commercialization/go-to-market in software companies (GTM)
- Deep curiosity about life sciences, our customers, and our markets
- Express generative and creative thinking
- Think in frameworks and first principles; comfortable explaining the why behind your thinking
- Communicate clearly across all mediums, especially written
- High degree of organization and attention to detail
- Prioritize well and move easily between long-term projects and short-term activity sprints
- Invest in building reusable processes and work products
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.