Chewy is hiring a Staff Software Engineer to work on Chewys Discovery Platform and join our team in Boston, MA. The Discovery team is responsible for the consumer journey across Chewy.com. This consumer journey is prominent across all of Chewy, enabling customers to discover products through browsing, search results and more. As a Senior member of the engineering team, you will own be responsible for the platform design, development and implementation. In this role, you will engage in iterative development, testing, and make contributions to the growth and development of one of Chewy's fastest growing areas. You will be involved in high-impact decisions and initiatives undertaken by the company, giving you a front row seat to shape Chewys growth.
To be successful in the role, you will need a proven track record of being a disruptor, innovator, and forward-looking engineer. Equally as important, you will need to operate at depth, understanding every detail of the organizations product goals, as well as being able to zoom out to connect the dots across the technology stack. This energetic individual will partner with both technical and business teams on multiple initiatives and collaborate to deliver new features and enhancements. The role will have visibility in the product, technology & business organizations of Chewy.
What Youll Do:
- You will have responsibility over major components of Chewys search architecture and platform both development and operational needs. You will be the go-to engineer for your part of the platform
- Apply vision, strategy, and thought leadership to impact Chewy, at scale
- Evolve and grow world-class Chewy search experience, serving millions of search queries
- Immerse yourself in imagining and providing cutting-edge solutions to build high-performance, low-latency web and mobile-web experiences
- Have a relentless focus on scalability, latency, performance robustness, and cost trade-offs -- especially those present in highly virtualized, elastic, cloud-based environments
- Apply rigorous analysis to identify issues affecting customer experience and iterative improve features
- Alongside a dedicated site reliability team to develop and support smooth 24x7 operation of our applications
- Work with Engineering Leadership to drive best practices in software development, testing, and deployment
- Hire, train, and mentor more junior engineers on the team
What Youll Need:
- 8+ years of experience designing, building, deploying, operating, scaling, and evolving distributed systems and high-volume transaction application in a 24/7 environment
- Must possess a bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
- Passion for optimizing systems
- Solid communication skills and ability to work well in a team are critical
- AWS development experience
- Experience in Agile/Scrum development process
- Experience in Web/Product search for Information Retrieval or developing in Open-Source Lucene
- Position will require travel between Seattle and Boston at least once per calendar year
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com