Chewy is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Autoship Platform team in any of our office locations. This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire subscription business, influencing the vision and implementation of architecture, design and features for the autoship platform. As the Staff Software Engineer, you will act as a technical lead while leading a team of strong engineers building Chewys next autoship platform.
Our teams mission is to be the backbone for Chewys subscription business across pet food, vet, & pharmacy product lines by designing, and developing reliable and consistent system helping drive long-term customer trust, business growth, and profitability. You will help drive innovation, scalability, light-weight integrations, and maintainability while collaborating with our internal engineering/IT teams.
What You'll Do:
- You will participate in working with all of the top engineers at Chewy to evolve architecture direction of all development at Chewy
- You will have responsibility over major components of Chewys architecture both development and operational needs. You will be the go-to engineer for your part of the platform
- You will be responsible for ensuring your systems are fully CICD and have responsibility of a plan to get to CICD if not there yet
- Reducing technical debt will be your key objective
- You will design responsive, reusable user interfaces/components using ReactJS, Redux and CSS-in-JS
- Build and consume RESTful endpoints
- Hiring, training, mentoring and growing new talent will be a major part of your job as Chewy is growing all teams at a record pace
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development
- Conduct design and code reviews and raise the bar on engineering rigor and standard
- Debug production issues across services and tech stack
- Continuously measure and optimize the performance, effectiveness, and uptime of backend services
- You will participate in setting guidelines for evolving development practices, as well as mentoring junior engineers
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 5+ years of cloud & software architecture experience.
- Experience working with Node JS and the node ecosystem for web application development
- Hands-on experience leading the design, development and deployment of business software at scale
- Be a hands-on Engineer spending significant percentage of their time writing code or debugging tricky issues
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills & a working knowledge of design patterns
- Experience with designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available systems
- Experience with cloud & orchestration technologies (AWS Services, Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce
- Position may require travel
- Experience in e-commerce
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus
- Good communication skills with both technical and business audiences.
- Experience with OpenAPI, Swagger, or stoplight.io
- Experience with configuration and deployment management via Terraform or Ansible and be hands on technology infrastructure, network, compute, storage, and virtualization experience
- Infrastructure automation through DevOps scripting (E.g. shell, Python, Ruby, PowerShell)
- Experience with data analysis/mining in large scale database environments a plus.
- Familiarity with modern tools and environments (e.g., JSON 3 API, Chaos Engineering, web services, version control systems, bug/issue tracking tools)
- Experience with Typescript and GraphQL
- Familiarity with Test driven development, Jest and Cypress
- Familiarity with AWS
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected].