Chewy is looking for a Senior/Staff Data Scientist or Statistician or Economist with a strong background in marketing measurement to join the Measurement Science team at Chewy. The team is committed to developing data-driven solutions, advancing measurement capabilities, building optimization frameworks, establishing best practices, and identifying growth opportunities across marketing channels, using methodologies such as marketing mix modeling (MMM), testing/experimentation, attribution, causal Inference, forecasting, 3rd party solutions, etc.
As we grow the Measurement Science function and set up various capabilities from ground up, you will have the opportunity to lead projects from end to end as a full-stack data scientist. In that capacity, you will have the opportunity to develop modeling frameworks, solve business problems, design experiments, build pipelines to streamline model development, partner with media partners and 3rd-party vendors to identify and implement new capabilities and best measurement practices. For such efforts, you have chance to work closely with business partners, Analytics, Product and Tech teams, as well as external parties.
Committed to value-creation, you will work with marketing and finance stakeholders as a thought partner and guide them in their decision-making process using data and models as your north star. You will develop models and deliver insights to drastically improve how we plan and optimize our marketing efforts, drive budget allocation and spend optimization to maximize the overall value for Chewy, and identify areas and opportunities to grow our business through data and learning. Supporting companys growth agendas with speed and accuracy, you will also have the opportunity to lead the design of experiments across marketing channels and platforms.
What You'll Do:
- You will develop the measurement and optimization frameworks (e.g., marketing mix model, scenario planning, etc.) to evaluate and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of marketing channels, platforms, tactics, etc. and inform overall decision-making process. For that you will closely work the marketing stakeholders and finance partners, as well as analysts, scientists, engineers, and product managers.
- You will propose state-of-the-art machine learning and experimentation methodologies to evaluate and maximize ROI or forecast performance of marketing investments on different channels/programs for customer acquisition and retention.
- You will collaborate with the teams to design experiments, opportunity sizing, measurement, analyses, recommendations and support the outcomes, and leverage testing learnings to calibrate and improve modeling performance; or use causal inference methods to bring additional measurement capability and speed in the decision-making process.
- You will be responsible for the full Data Science lifecycle from conception to prototyping, testing, deploying, and measuring the overall business value of the models. Also, you will periodically develop the model health reports to ensure the integrity of the underlying processes and assumptions. If needed, you will refit the model following the model lifecycle. Using the ML model outputs, you will work with business stakeholders to triangulate different inputs and optimize the solutions for different business problems.
- You will use data to improve how we make decisions and ultimately, enhance marketing efficiency and drive ROI. You will surface deep insight hidden in our data lakes and provide tactical and strategic guidance on how to act on findings.
- You will coordinate with the data engineering teams to ideate, architect, and build the technical platforms, and develop the automated pipelines to perform different stages of the model life cycle (data collection and cleaning, model development and validation, model deployment, periodic validation, and refitting, etc.)
- You will research market trend and measurement solutions, and partner with external (e.g., media providers, 3rd-party measurement vendors) data science teams to identify additional data, solutions, and opportunities to enhance our internal measurement capabilities.
What you'll need:
- PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Psychology, Computer Science, Engineering, or highly related quantitative discipline with 5+ years of working experience in the industry, consulting, agency, or academic research.
- Extensive practical hands-on experience in developing marketing mix modeling or similar econometric time series models is required.
- Demonstrated practical experience in the areas such as time series modeling, forecasting, experimentation, causal inference, applied economic analysis, etc. to answer challenging and impactful questions.
- Preferably experience in attribution, spend optimization, incrementality testing, etc.
- Preferably experience of working in marketing analytics and measurement fields, with domain knowledge and familiarity in marketing channels (both digital and mass media such as TV measurement), marketing performance KPIs, marketing advertising platforms (e.g., Google, Facebook, CTV, TV), and marketing analytics tools (e.g., Google Analytics, Ads Data Hub, etc.).
- Ability to lead end-to-end model development and work independently with limited coaching.
- High proficiency in Python, R and SQL.
- Working knowledge of AWS data toolset (e.g., Sagemaker, S3) is a plus.
- Experience of crystalizing ambiguous business problems into clear problem definitions and delivering them
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to explain details of complex concepts to non-expert stakeholders in a simple understandable way
- Preferably experience of working in the e-commerce industry
- You enjoy working in a team of highly engaged individuals, and you have a passion for data science and KPIs, but also for delivering analysis of the highest quality
- Proven experience in identifying opportunities for business improvement and defining and measuring the success of those initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to dig into the why of various results and present data-driven insights and recommendations.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills and an ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, develop business cases, and complete root cause analyses
- Ability to multi-task and work under firm deadlines within a rapidly changing environment
- Passion for data (and fearlessness in the face of a data tsunami) and obsession to use it to drive value for customers and business
- Can work in a fast-paced environment and be persuasive and caring with a wide range of diverse, cross-cultural audiences.
- Ability to thrive in complex business environments defined by uncertain, incomplete, or limited information and evolving targets Comfortable finding (or building) common ground to drive his/her agenda
- Strong at operating under constrains, and prioritizing time-sensitive deliveries.
- Some travel may be required.
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com