Chewy's Supply Chain Team is seeking a Sr Quantitative Economist to join the growing Applied Economic Research for Operations (AERO) team in Dania Beach, Florida. The AERO team is in charge of driving improvements in supply chain strategy through quantitative economics and scenarios analysis. You will develop core science-based methodologies, build scalable models and quantitative processes based on interdisciplinary methods from operations research, machine learning, market design, econometrics, causal analysis, and data analytics. Areas of work include (but are not limited to): improvement of forecast accuracy to enable better financial/planning decision making, providing insight into future drivers of business growth, development of analyses of the impact of economic trends on the business and more. You will not only implement and validate models on large scale data, but also help business and tech partners understand the results and turn them into strategies and actions that have a major impact on Chewys business. You will also work on new, transformative initiatives, and you will build new econometric models from the ground up.
This role has high visibility to senior business leaders and involves working with other scientists as well as engineering and product teams to integrate these models into production systems. This is an individual contributor role reporting into the Director of AERO.
What Youll Do:
- Build econometric models, conduct statistical/machine learning analyses, or design experiments to measure the value of the business and its many features incorporating feedback from internal customers, scientists and business leaders
- Own the development of economic models and manage the data analysis, modeling, and experimentation necessary to validate your model
- Effectively communicate econometric models to business teams and incorporate feedback into project analysis/modeling
- Design and develop rigorous models to assess the causal impact of macroeconomic parameters on customers behavior, suppliers network and business performance
- Design and conduct experiments to validate theories and improve understanding of Chewys ecosystem of suppliers and customers
- Collaborate with product managers, data scientists, and software developers to incorporate models into production processes and influence senior leaders
- Independently identify new opportunities for leveraging economic insights and models in Chewys business
- Write technical white papers and business-facing documents to clearly explain complex technical concepts to audiences with diverse business/scientific background
- Review and audit modeling processes and results for other scientists, both junior and senior
- Lead the project plan from a scientific perspective on small to medium product launches including identifying potential risks, key milestones, and paths to mitigate risks
- Set and balance goals across the team to optimize performance against department goals
What Youll Need:
- PhD in Economics or related quantitative field (finance, quantitative marketing or similar)
- 3+ years of experience in either a postdoctoral position, consulting, government, industry or academic research
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven track record of applying econometric techniques to real business problems
- Fluency in data analysis languages (e.g., R, Python, Eviews) or other statistical software
- Hands-on experience with causal estimation, the design of randomized experiments, and demand estimation
- Experience with large data sets, big data, and analytics
- Fluency in data querying languages (e.g. SQL)
- Keen judgment for balancing research depth and pacing
- Expert knowledge and practical experience of econometrics concepts (time series models, forecasting, panel data, high dimensional problems, etc.), economic theory, and quantitative methods
- Ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Experience with major macroeconomic data providers and analysis tools is preferred (e.g., Moodys Analytics, Bloomberg, Haver, IHS or similar)
- Ability to work effectively within an interdisciplinary science team of economists, applied scientists, software engineers, and data engineers
- Position may require travel
- Familiar with cloud data and computing tools such as AWS, GCP, Azure or similar.
- AWS Certified Developer/AWS Machine Learning
- Tableau Dashboarding
- E-com, Retail or startup experience is a plus
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected].