Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIns Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each persons perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe its important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passionfrom employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a Sr. IT Infrastructure Engineer to lead technical initiatives with our global IT Infrastructure Engineering teams. This person will report to and work strategically with the Head of IT Infrastructure & Technical architect to lead the Infrastructure strategies, engineering, developing scalable solutions, preparing the future technical roadmaps and in driving cross-platform projects. The ideal candidate is a person with cross-platform infrastructure engineering expertise, along with solid technical breadth across infrastructure areas and leadership experience to drive the evolution of the infrastructure engineering services for this firm as we scale bigger. This person should be comfortable getting technical on engineering designs and solutions, and be able to multitask, manage projects with high attention to detail, and mentor the engineering team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring the overall service quality of IT Infrastructure platforms and solutions.
- Leading the development of longterm engineering strategic plans with IT Infrastructure senior leadership and driving the strategic direction for the technology infrastructure platforms and capabilities to align with the business strategies.
- Leading cross-platform infrastructure technical teams in terms of engineering technical requirements and developing proper designs and solutions across multiple technical domains or platforms.
- Leading the cross-platform technical leadership for architecting and building IT Infrastructure solutions/products with a grasp of business needs and alignment to different infrastructure areas and dependencies, ensuring scalability and reliability.
- Developing and building engineering and architecture standards and artifacts for all the infra areas and ensuring standards and best practices are built as part of the solution designs.
- Proactively analyzing, assessing and improving service bottlenecks; streamlining engineering functions; and improving systems, processes, and procedures for availability, stability, and scalability.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business, or related disciplines.
- 5+ years of prior experience leading cross-platform infrastructure engineering technical teams
- Strong experience with leading and managing infrastructure platforms engineering involving core Microsoft technologies such as AD, DNS, GPO, Windows, SCCM, PKI, RDS, Desktop Engineering, along with VMWare, and VDI/Desktop as a Service Cloud solutions.
- Experience in developing, building cloud solutions with AWS, Azure, O365 with thorough architecture, and implementations, as well as, establishing best practices and standards.
- Strong communication skills and expertise in fostering effective, collaborative partnerships across different IT areas to deliver on cross-functional projects and initiatives in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- You are self-driven and proactive in nature with strong problem-solving skills and a passion for engineering and operational excellence. You want to deliver the best solutions to the organization.
- You have significant experience in developing and building top-class infrastructure engineering teams by identifying talents and skills and aligning resources effectively towards the team goals.
- Ability to proactively plan and prioritize.
- You are adaptable to business needs, bringing in strong decision making skills backed by the insights, commitment, will and drive to deliver the results effectively.
- Experience with Agile methodologies, frameworks and techniques preferred, and strong project management skills required.
- Experience with SOX, PCI DSS, and other industry and financial compliance and regulations preferred.
Our team is Headquartered in NYC, but is open to remote opportunities.
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do whats in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itselfwe continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Weve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a persons merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.