Sourcing Category Lead - Contract Manufacturing
Markforged is reinventing manufacturing with the most affordable 3D metal and carbon fiber printers capable of producing parts strong enough for the factory floor. Engineers, designers, and manufacturing professionals all over the world rely on Markforged metal and composite printers for tooling, fixtures, functional prototyping, and high-value end-use production and optimizing their manufacturing and supply chains. Founded in 2013 and based in Watertown, MA, Markforged has about 305 employees globally, and recently went public on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol MKFG. Markforgeds vision is a world in which you build anything you imagine.
Markforged is an amazing place to work and grow a career - having been just recognized to start in 2021 on Built in Boston's Boston Best Places to Work, Boston Best Midsize Companies to Work for, and Boston Best Paying Companies. We were also just announced on Wealthfront's ninth annual Career-Launching Companies List.
About this role:
As a Category Lead on our team, you will be given the challenge of leading the souring management of our contract manufacturers who produce Markforgeds hardware systems and products. Markforgeds contract manufacturers are key to our customer success and enable us to bring our best-in-class technical additive manufacturing products to market. You will work with our contracting manufacturing partners, and other direct supply partners, to bring exciting products and materials to our customers. Youll also work closely with our Operations Engineering, Quality and Supply Chain teams to support our contracting manufacturers in supporting our business needs and continuously improving our methods and processes as we continue to scale.
The ideal candidate will bring strong strategic sourcing and subcontracting experience with major supply partners in a technical product environment. Were looking for strong program management skills, strong communication and team building ability, and a strong purchasing and sourcing foundation, ideally in a growing and scaling production environment. This individual needs to be self-motivated, bring strong experience with major supply partner management and category management, and be willing to learn and adapt in a fast-paced organization.
What will you own?
- Serve as primary interface with Contract Manufacturers and their teams to ensure attainment of build plan and overall cost, delivery and quality performance
- Prioritize and escalate issues threatening or impacting production, and assist in resolution through coordination with internal Markforged teams and personnel as required
- Monitor factors affecting CM performance such as material readiness, and work with team members to improve performance against planned monthly performance targets
- Identify and advance cost projects with CMs to support productivity cost attainment targets and to establish a strong cost savings project pipeline
- Coordinate CM Performance Reporting and Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs) with MF team members and CMs
- Develop sourcing strategies for assigned categories in primary spend areas
- Support key qualifications of supplier materials and subcontracted processing services
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend category suppliers as necessary to support production program needs
- Recommend and initiate projects and process changes leading to continuous improvement in quality, efficiency, inventory and cost
- Develop strong supplier relationships and negotiate contracts with supply partners to ensure best costs and service for Markforged
- Manage supply materials risk by conducting supplier risk assessments, communicating risk exposure, and developing and executing on mitigation plans
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point were getting at, it doesnt hurt to take a chance and apply!
What you have:
- Passion for progressive strategic sourcing and category management, and progressive advancement within the profession
- At least 5+ years applied experience as a Senior Buyer or Category Manager with s category responsibility environment, ideally with an annual $10M+ spend responsibility
- Skilled at contracting with major supply partners and experienced in commercial negotiations and agreement development
- Skilled at supply partner risk analysis and related mitigation strategies.
- Experience working as a liaison between Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality and supply partners to introduce new products and lead continuous improvement projects.
- Ability to independently lead cross-functional Sourcing materials projects to completion
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively across internal departments and with external partners
- Experience with Operations best practices such as LEAN, Kaizen, 5S, and Six Sigma
- Comfortable with single-source negotiations, managing conflict, and escalating issues when appropriate
- Highly motivated and organized individual with sharp analytical and process mindset
- Highly skilled in G-Suite apps
- Demonstrated cost reduction experience and track record with a range of categories and projects
- Enjoys challenging the status quo and sharing new ideas
- Willing to travel periodically both domestically and internationally
- Thrives in a fast-paced dynamic environment