Who is Virgin Pulse?
Virgin Pulse, founded as part of Sir Richard Branson’s famed Virgin Group, helps organizations build employee health and wellbeing into the DNA of their corporate cultures. As the only company to deliver a powerful, mobile-first digital platform infused with live services, including coaching and biometric screenings, Virgin Pulse’s takes a high-tech-meets-high-touch-approach to engage employees in improving across all aspects of their health and wellbeing, every day – from prevention and building a healthy lifestyle to condition and disease management;all while engaging users daily in building and sustaining healthy habits and behaviors. A global leader in health and wellbeing, Virgin Pulse is committed to helping change lives and businesses around the world for good so that people and organizations can thrive, together. Today, more than 3100 organizations across the globe are using Virgin Pulse’s solutions to improve health, employee wellbeing and engagement, reduce costs and create strong workplace cultures.
Who are our employees?
At Virgin Pulse we’re passionate about changing lives for good. We want to make a difference in the world by helping people be healthy so they can perform at their best, every day, at work and home. Our award-winning solutions support leading employers in improving and simplifying the employee health and wellbeing journey and engaging people in all aspects of their health. But our world-class products and programs are nothing without our people – the employees who design, build, promote, sell, test and perfect the latest innovations in workplace health and wellbeing. Our people are our top priority and we invest in their health and happiness. At Virgin Pulse, we have so much more than a strong, supportive company culture – have a shared vision for a healthier, happier world.
Virgin Pulse values and celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood.
Our next generation SAAS platform is using an exciting mixture of technologies: Large scale, public-facing websites built in Angular/Angular2 and leveraging tools like Pug, Grunt and NPM to make things automated and repeatable. Our Java/Kotlin-based REST API is built on Spring Boot and Hibernate which serves traffic to both web and mobile consumers. We’re using a combination of both PostgreSQL, Cassandra and Redis. Redis, specifically, is used extensively in a distributed locking system, responsible for supporting real-time data processing. We use Machine Learning to personalize, recommend, and monitor services on our platform. Our ML applications are packaged as containers with RESTful interfaces. All of this uses Amazon Web Services extensively for stability and high availability.
We practice Continuous Integration using TeamCity; as a result we have continual smaller releases to our environments (Development, QA, Staging, Production), with integrated unit tests and code coverage analysis while eliminating the risk taken on with only a few large releases/product updates.
We are focused on continuing the growth of our next-generation SaaS application and are looking for people who aspire to be a professional Software Engineers to join our team.
As a Software Engineer at Virgin Pulse you will work on a scrum team. You bring to the table a base understanding of many modern open-source web technologies, and are dedicated to learning more. Each day you will be collaborating with Tech Leads, Product Managers, UX Designers, and other talented Engineers to deliver great solutions on an exponentially growing application.
You'll be working on platform that serves:
- Several million engaged users
- 50 billion+ consumer generated API calls a year
- Native mobile clients with 750k+ MAU (Monthly Active Users)
Who you are
- You are an experienced Software Technical Lead that is looking for an opportunity to join a fast-growing company that will challenge you.
- You are an experienced Technical Lead that is looking to take the next step in your career.
- You have a proven track record of excellence in your areas of expertise, and in leading teams to successful product releases.
- You want to develop and mentor junior engineers.
- You want to be involved in making architecture decisions on the evolution of our platform, and in implementing new development tools and standards.
- You are looking to work on an engineering team that takes ownership and supports what they develop.
- You are not afraid to embrace new technologies.
- You want to work on a team that shares and celebrates victories, learns from losses, operates with a high degree of autonomy, and consistently delivers on what it promises.
- You are comfortable with the idea of CI/CD, “Build it, Deploy it, Run It”, and Agile software development.
- You are an excellent communicator, not only within your team but within Engineering as a whole.
- You are comfortable collaborating and planning with Product Managers and UX Designers
- You want to work for a company that provides ample opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- You embrace our company values of being Hungry, Humble, and Smart.
What your typical day looks like:
- Spearhead the design, development, and testing of new platform components, features, and enhancements.
- Triage, investigate, and resolve issues across our platform.
- Actively lead and represent Engineering in sprint ceremonies to help the team design solutions, estimate effort, and effectively plan work.
- Act as a development subject-matter expert for engineering as a whole
- Mentor developers of all skill levels on software development best practices
- Design, code, and test new platform components, features, and enhancements for our platform
- Working with your team, establish best practices on the development, monitoring, and maintenance of technologies.
- Collaborate with agile cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features
What you bring to the team
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer, you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 5 or more years of experience developing services and APIs
- 2 or more years of experience as a Senior level Software Engineer or similar position
- Experience in leading and mentoring junior developers
- Fluent in at least one object-oriented language like Java, Kotlin, C#
- An in-depth understanding of best practices for software development including testing, monitoring, and design
- Consistently build maintainable and well-tested code
- Excellent problem-solving skills and an in-depth understanding of object-oriented programming
- In-depth understanding of the full software development life cycle
- Excellent communication skills, openness to collaborate, and enthusiasm to deliver as a part of a team
- A passion and drive for learning technologies and applying them pragmatically
- Intrinsic passion for learning and self-development
- Experience in solving problems and tasks of different complexity
- Can distill complex problems through the application of design patterns
- Regularly perform code reviews, giving detailed feedback/suggestions
What makes you stand out:
- Experience in building and supporting a distributed processing architecture in a high-throughput production environment
- Experience with Spring Boot
- Experience with stream processing applications such as Kafka Streams, Spring Cloud Streams, or ksqlDB
- Experience with schema registries and knowledge of the tradeoffs between various message serialization protocols
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery technologies
- Experience with highly scalable systems in a cloud environment
- Experience with AWS Cloud Services
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If you may be a good fit, we encourage you to apply. Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to principles of social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. As we are committed to diversifying our company, we make a particular effort to recruit and encourage candidates that are historically from underrepresented communities to apply for open positions.
Work to maintain system and data security at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Adhere to industry best practice coding standards and verify all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work here?
*We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive work environment, strong employee culture and cutting-edge technology and services — so many reasons to love it here.
*We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any protected class status.
* Please note that Virgin Pulse representatives will only communicate with you via our own corporate communication tools with virginpulse.com email addresses and through partnership with our Applicant Tracking System, iCIMS, which will clearly reference Virgin Pulse. We do not use third part apps like WIRE or WhatsApp to communicate.
*At no time during the interview process will we ask you for secure PII data unless you are offered a job with Virgin Pulse. Should you be offered a job, and accept, you will be proivded with secure links through our partnership with ADP.