Who is Virgin Pulse?
Virgin Pulse, founded as part of Sir Richard Branson’s famed Virgin Group, helps organizations build employee health and wellbeing into the DNA of their corporate cultures. As the only company to deliver a powerful, mobile-first digital platform infused with live services, including coaching and biometric screenings, Virgin Pulse’s takes a high-tech-meets-high-touch-approach to engage employees in improving across all aspects of their health and wellbeing, every day – from prevention and building a healthy lifestyle to condition and disease management;all while engaging users daily in building and sustaining healthy habits and behaviors. A global leader in health and wellbeing, Virgin Pulse is committed to helping change lives and businesses around the world for good so that people and organizations can thrive, together. Today, more than 3100 organizations across the globe are using Virgin Pulse’s solutions to improve health, employee wellbeing and engagement, reduce costs and create strong workplace cultures.
Who are our employees?
At Virgin Pulse we’re passionate about changing lives for good. We want to make a difference in the world by helping people be healthy so they can perform at their best, every day, at work and home. Our award-winning solutions support leading employers in improving and simplifying the employee health and wellbeing journey and engaging people in all aspects of their health. But our world-class products and programs are nothing without our people – the employees who design, build, promote, sell, test and perfect the latest innovations in workplace health and wellbeing. Our people are our top priority and we invest in their health and happiness. At Virgin Pulse, we have so much more than a strong, supportive company culture – have a shared vision for a healthier, happier world.
Virgin Pulse values and celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood.
Who you are
As a Software Engineer at Virgin Pulse you will be working on a Digital Health SaaS platform that supports millions of engaged, active members in 20 languages across 190 countries, serving over 50 billion+ API calls every year to mobile and desktop users.
In this particular role, you will be working on the Kafka pipeline engineering team, with frequent interactions with various engineering teams that are producing and consuming a billion+ events. You will be working with a passionate and strong team of engineers and product managers. With your strong background in cloud technologies and software architecture you will have the opportunity to develop, manage and optimize our tech stack and production pipelines. This work may include projects like building out new customer-facing features, creating the APIs for new capabilities, data integration from our partners, developing new strategies for managing our product stack and optimizing existing code to make it more performant. If you are someone with an appetite for growth we will offer you more opportunity to learn directly from our highly skilled group of engineers.
You are knowledgeable in and have been writing production-ready code in Java and Kotlin using your strong analytical skills. You possess the desire and ability to learn quickly but any familiarity with Angular and the AWS ecosystem will make you stand out. Along with excellent problem-solving abilities and strong communication skills, you also have the desire and ability to self-start and time manage in a fast-paced environment; all of which will set you up for success in our team.
In this role you will wear many hats but your skills will be especially essential in the following:
- Design, build, and evolve durable, highly scalable Kafka infrastructure
- Provide expertise and establish best practices on the development, monitoring, and maintenance of event-based technologies.
- Write production ready code in Java and Kotlin
- Design, develop and deploy backend services with focus on high availability, low latency and scalability
- Monitor, test, and continuously optimize your designs
- Provide technical leadership and coaching to the more junior team members to enable them to build better software.
- Master our development process, culture and code base, then think of ways to improve it and implement within our team.
- Take operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team, potentially including taking part in off hour calls with systems support team
What you bring to the team
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer, you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
- Fluency in Java
- 2 or more years of experience developing services and APIs
- Experience with Apache Kafka in a high-throughput production environment.
- A solid understanding of best practices for software development including testing, monitoring, and design
- Desire to go beyond the functional solution to build maintainable and well-tested code
- A desire to partner closely with product managers to refine the product
- Ability to articulate and champion design strategies related to scalability, maintainability, performance, security and usability
What makes you stand out:
- Experience with stream processing applications such as Flink, KSQL/ksqlDB, KStreams, or Materialize
- Expertise in schema registries and knowledge of the tradeoffs between various message serialization protocols
- Experience with some of the tools in our tech stack, particularly Spring Boot, Cassandra, PostgreSQL and/or Elasticsearch
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery technologies like Maven, TeamCity, Ansible, Harness, Terraform, or similar
- Experience with highly scalable systems in an AWS ecosystem
- Virgin Pulse is looking to add multiple experienced Software engineers to our rapidly growing team. We need your help to build the next generation of our vision to change lives for the better.
* No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Work to maintain system and data security at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Adhere to industry best practice coding standards and verify all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work here?
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive work environment, strong employee culture and cutting-edge technology and services — so many reasons to love it here. Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to diversity, inclusion, equity and social justice. To that end, we make a particular effort to recruit candidates from minoritized backgrounds to apply for open positions.
Please note that Virgin Pulse representatives will only communicate with you via our own corporate communication tools with virginpulse.com email addresses and through partnership with our Applicant Tracking System, iCIMS, which will clearly reference Virgin Pulse. We do not use third part apps like WIRE or WhatsApp to communicate. Should you be offered a job, and accept, you will be provided with secure links through partnerships with our secure vendors.