Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. Bowery builds smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture.
About The Role:
This is an opportunity to join a small, growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. Were looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isnt afraid of uncertainty. This role at Bowery means building data pipelines, modeling our increasingly broad data warehouse, and architecting infrastructure which will scale with our quickly growing farms. The data function at Bowery is central to the vision of the company as well as its day-to-day operation. Youll be part of the Data & AI team which is responsible for everything from collecting data, to reporting facts, investigative analysis, building machine learning, and computer vision models.
What You'll Do:
- Youll implement innovative quantitative solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside our team of data scientists and software engineers.
- Youll use the latest machine learning and data stack technologies to deploy AI services which ensure our farms operate smoothly and our crops flourish.
- Youll transform the raw data produced by the farm into a comprehensive data warehouse as the authoritative source for all facts about the business.
- Youll help shape the way our data & AI team does work - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
- Youll create internal frameworks, tools, packages, and technical documentation to improve efficiencies within Bowery
- Youll add an engineers perspective to the code and design choices considered by our data scientists and analysts - mentoring and building skills together.
- You wont find yourself working with the Facebook Ads API, managing a Spark cluster, or allocating disk space in your HDFS.
What You'll Have:
- You have experience writing and maintaining production quality codeYou are knowledgeable and opinionated about warehouse data modeling and know how to keep this critical foundation healthy while it grows. .You are fluent in SQL and Python, and likely enthusiastic about the leverage created by dbt and Snowflake.
- You are comfortable working in a highly technical team and educating others on contributing through version control, peer-reviewing code, and managing processes in production.
- You are confident as a data engineer -- from our streaming data sources to ingestion and storage and integration with downstream dependencies.
- You are confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. Bowery has raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, Jos Andrs and David Barber of Blue Hill. For more information on Bowery and its products, please visit www.BoweryFarming.comPress kit: https://boweryfarming.com/press/