The Visualization Tools Team at Motional creates the tools used by developers and safety operators to monitor and debug our autonomous vehicles. The team supports the engineering and operations teams designing and delivering tools supporting multiple use cases.
As a Technical Product Designer, you will design and develop software that is intuitive, user-centered, efficient, and overall enables the safe function of our next generation Autonomous Vehicle. You will be part of a small, fast-paced agile team, working directly with Engineers, Product Managers, and User Researchers.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the citys goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead the design of our internal visualization tools
- Work with the software engineering team to implement and iterate on designs you create
- Leverage user research for your designs to drive understanding of key user needs, problems, desires, and personas
- Lead collaborative team sessions such as brainstorming with the engineering team, operations, product managers, and other designers
- Lead UX deliverables including user flows, wireframes, prototypes, etc.
- Deliver polished, pixel-perfect UI Design artifacts
- Work with product managers to define goals and focus work
- Plan and lead large complex design initiatives
- Define how people interact with the future of autonomous vehicles!
What we're looking for:
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Graphic Design, UX Design, Interactive Media, or similar
- 5+ years of hands on experience in an in house design team or consulting/design agency
- Ability to lead major design initiatives with little guidance
- Experience with planning large workstreams, meeting measurable goals and deadlines
- Strong experience in all stages of the design process, from early strategy and ideation, wireframes and prototypes, to the final implementation of UI design
- Strong cross-platform design experience, particularly in desktop and web applications
- Experience working closely with engineers in an agile development process
- Experience taking feedback from users, and iterating on design
- Solid grasp of user interaction and animation principles
- The ability to be flexible and inventive, using non-traditional approaches and techniques to design, given our product space
- Experience with industry standard design tools, such as Sketch, Zeplin, Figma, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with 3d modeling and design
- Experience creating UI guidelines/frameworks
- Proven understanding of technical concepts
Bonus points (not required):
- Experience designing for equity and accessibility
- Experience in the automobile industry, autonomous vehicle industry, or gaming industry
- Sound design/effects
Why you should join us:
This is an exciting opportunity for a product designer to join a very dynamic team of software engineers focused on delivering beautiful and functional UI for humans in our autonomous vehicle system. The designs and ideas will be applied to our development tools (used by other engineers in the company) as well as our in-vehicle test engineering and operations team.
As a product designer, you will work closely with software engineers, product managers, test engineers, and vehicle operators to visualize important data in an efficient and user friendly manner.
If you dont meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above - thats okay! We encourage you to apply if you think this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and that you can deliver the results we need.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. Were behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, its imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motionals success. Thats why weve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.