Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM) is pioneering a new generation of additive manufacturing technologies focused on the production of end-use parts. We offer a portfolio of integrated additive manufacturing solutions for engineers, designers and manufacturers comprised of hardware, software, materials and services. Our solutions span use cases across the product life cycle, from product development to mass production and aftermarket operations, and they address an array of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer products, heavy industry, machine design and research and development. At Desktop Metal, we believe additive manufacturing, commonly referred to as 3D printing, is one of the most exciting and transformational technology innovations of our time.
Desktop Metal seeks a talented senior Systems Engineer to join our growing Systems Engineering Integration and Test (SEIT) team. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining complex systems that meet our business needs. The Systems Engineer will work closely with other team members, including software engineers, hardware engineers, and project managers, to ensure the seamless integration of systems components. They must be comfortable working on a cross functional engineering team and driving progress. This position is not a requirements/design only job. The candidate must be hands-on and comfortable designing, integrating, testing, and analyzing complex electromechanical systems.
- Design, develop, integrate, test, and maintain complex electro-mechanical systems
- Work with software engineers and hardware engineers to ensure seamless integration of systems components
- Evaluate system performance and make recommendations for improvements
- Collaborate with project managers and other stakeholders to ensure project goals are met
- Troubleshoot and debug system issues
- Participate in the development of project plans and timelines
- Keep up to date with emerging trends and technologies in systems engineering
- Create product requirements and qualify designs against specifications
- Perform validation testing to meet product requirements
- Oversee and execute all aspects of the product life cycle through the phase gate process from concept generation through production fielding and eventual obsolescence
- Identify and execute design improvement and cost reduction projects
- Execute failure analyses and mitigation activities, utilizing industry best practices such as Six Sigma, Lean, Pareto, Fishbone, and CAPA.
- Maintain 3D CAD models and documentation of system architecture and components
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to perform detailed design and analysis
- Apply a strong analytical approach to the design process, including mechanics, thermals, and tolerance analysis.
- Review design documentation of New Product Development activities for production readiness.
- Maintain a high level of communication with cross-functional teams, partners, and suppliers
- Proven experience as a Systems Engineer or similar role
- Strong understanding of systems engineering concepts, principles, and practices
- Experience with software and hardware integration and test
- Proficient in programming languages such as Python, Java, or C++
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently as well as driving teams and projects to completion/success
- Experience bringing a product through a full design cycle, from brainstorming through release.
- Thorough understanding and use of technical principles, theories, and concepts in mechanical, electrical and systems engineering
- Ability to identify, design and validate cost-saving opportunities against original design intent
- Broad exposure to electrical/mechanical design and development practices
- Working knowledge of manufacturing techniques such as injection molding, sheet metal fabrication, welding, traditional machining, and additive manufacturing
- Experience working with various suppliers to integrate components into system design
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- BS/MS Engineering or equivalent
- Solidworks and PDM proficiency
- Pro-active engineer who can make tough decisions and guide projects within any life cycle
- Working knowledge of fluid systems, high-pressure systems, and vacuum systems
- PDM and PLM systems
- Hands-on machine build and operation experience
- Experience working with PLCs
- Data collection and analysis
At Desktop Metal, innovation is at the core of our DNA. And we believe ground-breaking discoveries are born from diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or disability.