SmarterTravel, a TripAdvisor Company, offers travelers a portfolio of travel sites to help them find the right trip at the right price. We are a team of passionate professionals who push and drive and innovate like a start-up, but we also have a track record of success and we benefit from being a part of a large, public company.
As part of the Systems Engineering / DevOps team, you’ll be on the frontlines of a rapidly growing infrastructure. We’re looking for a self-starter with deep OS knowledge as well as programming skills, and who has repeatable and sustainable systems management in mind.
We want to hear from you if:
- You are excited about systems engineering and dev-ops synergy
- You thrive solving hard problems under pressure
- You have built tools to replace your previous job and believe automation is a MUST
- You think monitoring is an ever-evolving battle
- You can balance short term needs with long term goals
- You are a strong user of Open Source Software (OSS)
- You are self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
Strong candidates will possess many of the following:
- A minimum of 5 years of Linux Systems Administration experience (we use RHEL6 and 7)
- Minimum of 1 year startup/dotcom experience (we believe in whole system ownership)
- Can participate in an On-Call rotation and communicate effectively during emergencies
- Programmed with at least one interpreted language (perl, python, ruby)
- Hands on networking experience with switches, routers, and load balancers
- Experience with MySQL and/or PostgreSQL and their various replication and scalability strategies
- Experience with Configuration Management tools (we use Chef)
- Experience with monitoring and trending systems (nagios, graphite, statsd)
- Experience with Virtualization technologies (we use XenServer)
- Experience building and operating services in AWS
- The ability to work on tasks and projects with minimum supervision
- Experience with technologies like Docker and Kubernetes is a plus
- Operational knowledge of software like Kafka, Redis, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, Hadoop, MongoDB, Solr, and Elasticsearch, logstash, kibana (the ELK stack) is a plus
At SmarterTravel, we have built an open & collaborative environment and we hire the people we want to work with (not just the ones with the right qualifications), but who also think different to us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We choose speed over perfection, but not at the expense of quality. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to make it better. Let us know if you’d like to help.
SmarterTravel is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or musical preferences. We think a diverse team builds a better product.
*** This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization. ***