Who We Are
The Big Data - Messaging & Streaming Platforms team is responsible for the technologies powering application and Big Data use cases that create an exceptional experience for Wayfair customers. Our team is looking for smart, passionate, and curious people who are excited to help us scale our distributed messaging and streaming platforms. With the broad set of technologies we are using and the scale at which our systems operate, you will have the opportunity to grow your skills and be exposed to new people and ideas who work on a diverse set of cutting-edge technologies. If you are the type of person who is fascinated by engineering extremely large deployments of high-volume systems, skilled in designing scalable automation for maintaining them, and are passionate about troubleshooting challenging technical problems involving distributed systems, we should talk.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Messaging & Streaming Platforms team, you will be primarily responsible for maturing, scaling, and maintaining a large, globally-distributed Kafka messaging platform and supporting technologies. Your contributions will ensure the continued growth, health, and availability of a platform made up of:
- 70 clusters deployed globally across 6 data centers
- 20 Million published messages/second average
- 33,000 Topics with ~600TB data
What You'll Do
- Work closely with the team to understand daily operational issues and design/implement automated solutions to scale ongoing maintenance of our platforms
- Design and implement self-service offerings for frictionless onboarding based on stakeholder requirements
- Expose metrics that enable usage and cost visibility of the platforms
- Architect and implement a monitoring and alerting approach to enable exposure of Service Level Indicators (SLIs) and exposure/adherence to Service Level Objectives (SLOs)
- Mentor junior engineers to develop the next generation of Wayfair engineering
What You'll Need
- 5+ years in a senior engineering position or technical lead role
- Applied experience with Kafka (or similar messaging systems) at a large scale
- Familiarity with Puppet, Chef, Terraform (or similar technologies)
- Familiarity with Python and/or Java
- Demonstrated ability to execute and deliver technical solutions to solve complex problems
- Strong experience developing infrastructure/platform-enabling services
- Analytical approach to problem-solving
- Refined communication and documentation skills
- Habit of applying first-principles thinking to existing challenges
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.