Senior Software Engineer, Carbon Platform
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Carbon Platform team, you will work on building web and mobile applications that enable Indigos carbon sequestration program.
Indigo Carbon is mobilizing growers to change their farming practices (cover crops, no-till, etc.) in ways that will increase the amount of organic carbon in their soil over time. That effectively takes CO2 out of the air and stores it in the soil. We then generate carbon credits for that sequestered carbon and sell them for the grower. Carbon credit buyers get to offset their emissions, growers get a new revenue stream, and their soil and crops become healthier.
In order to help growers transition to these new practices and prove that those changes actually increased the carbon in their soil, we need to collect some data. Well, a lot of data. And thats where you come in. The Carbon Platform team builds the systems that handle data from growers themselves, from agronomists, from satellite observations, from soil labs, from tractors, and expose it for use in web and mobile applications and for analysis and modeling and carbon credit generation.
In this role, you will build applications that help our growers move towards better, more efficient agricultural practices. This is a new team in the engineering organization, so it is a great opportunity to build something from the ground up in the latest tech stack.
- Design reliable and high-quality backend systems in the cloud that are fast, secure, and a pleasure for frontends to use
- Build well-documented and maintainable critical features within existing APIs
- Communicate risks and issues to stakeholders and work together to find a path forward
- Lead projects end-to-end, from design to implementation to deployment to production support, contributing across functions
- Understands how to build high-throughput APIs and data processing pipelines
- Understands how to design APIs and client libraries that are easy for users to use
- Understands how to build reliable, secure, and maintainable systems in a cloud environment
- Able to research, propose, and prototype new technologies or software patterns (i.e. solutions) when faced with new, challenging problems
- Evangelizes modern software engineering practices and can speak to the pros and cons of approaches such as microservices vs. monoliths, mono vs. shared repos, containers vs. VMs (architecture-minded, thinking beyond the immediate scope)
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with real-world time constraints (planting/harvest schedules)
- You dont need to know anything about farming (though its a plus). You bring the software expertise and Indigo can bring the agriculture.
- You dont need to know our stack end-to-end. All we ask is that youre interested in learning new things.
- You dont need to fit startup culture. We want someone who is passionate and adds something to the team. All we ask is that you be yourself.
- 4+ years experience writing software
- 2+ years building and deploying high-quality production web services
- 2+ years experience working with a cloud provider, such as AWS or GCP
- Professional experience with Python is ideal; not required
- Experience working in some kind of agile environment
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The companys scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBCs Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and So Paulo, Brazil.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow. As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.
More Jobs From