The motion controls team is responsible for motion planning trajectory generation & optimization, model predictive control, and numerical optimization. We are looking for a Senior Research Scientist with a background and passion in robotics motion planning & controls to apply innovative solutions for our autonomous vehicles. In this role you will perform ground breaking research, generate optimization algorithms, and software development to generate safe, comfortable, and intuitive autonomous vehicle motions.
The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the busting Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
What You'll Do:
- Develop state-of-the-art motion control and trajectory optimization software to ensure vehicle navigates safely and smoothly
- Interface with upstream decision/behavior planning and prediction
- Work with system engineering and safety teams to develop safe redundant architectures
- Integrate and evaluate combinations of trajectory optimization and tracking algorithms
- Optimize development strategy and process to create high quality supportable code and documentation
- Guide and mentor junior team members to develop a culture of product focused research and development
What You'll Bring:
- PhD degree in Robotics, ECE, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Experience with Model Predictive Control (MPC), state estimation, robust control, vehicle dynamics, and simulation environments
- Understanding of numerical optimization algorithms (interior point method, sequential quadratic programming, etc)
- Experience of optimization solvers (IPOPT, Gurobi, etc)
- 3+ years of C++ software development
- Past experience owning and leading technical development on features from problem formulation through implementation
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to learn quickly.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and creative thinking.