Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test the highest-rated, most accurate on the market enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the worlds only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embarks Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
This role will be the product owner for the core of the my.embarkvet.com experience, which is our post-purchase, logged in experience where we provide detailed DNA results to our customers. This role is designed for an experienced product person with deep customer empathy and an ability to transform complex concepts into delightful consumer experiences. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has a strong background in creating and optimizing user journeys, partnering with cross-functional teams, full stack web development, injecting the voice of the customer, digital analytics, and leading motivated scrum teams to apply their talent at a hyper-growth startup.
Successful candidates will have experience working in highly collaborative environments with Product Design, Engineering, and Marketing. They will have an understanding of the competitive landscape and emerging trends, analyzing and building product roadmaps, designing iterative split tests, understanding customer pain points, and developing plans to drive customer actions against the DNA results they receive for their dog(s).
The ideal candidate is customer-obsessed, naturally curious, data-driven, and has the ability to work collaboratively across functions. Experience in digital product development is required. Experience in digital health, biotech, veterinary science, health and wellness, or pets is a plus.
What youll do:
- Develop and own the roadmap for Embarks DNA results web experience, clearly communicating those results to our various customer segments (pet parents, breeders, veterinarians, etc.)
- Partner with Science team to ensure the DNA results we are showing our customers are represented with scientific accuracy
- Build a stable, scalable platform that all Embark teams can plug into and iterate on for their respective areas
- Partner with Marketing and Customer Service teams to ensure the end-to-end customer experience from purchase to results delivery is strong
- Partner with Product Design to create delightful, intuitive and educational customer experiences
- Play a critical role in creating alignment between the development team, science team and business stakeholders
- Define specific requirements, evaluate implementation options & clearly articulate acceptance criteria for the development team
- Establish and monitor success metrics for Embarks DNA results experience to enable data-driven prioritization and identify improvements
- Conduct product and competitive research to help shape long- and short-term strategy while providing quick and clear value add to the business
What experience were looking for:
- 6-8 years of experience in digital consumer product development
- 4+ years experience leading an agile product development team
- This role will have exposure to senior leadership and requires excellent communication skills to evangelize product vision and to deliver insights and results to stakeholders
- Strong leadership, strategic thinking, and practical planning skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to partner with business and technical teams in addition to vendors
- An ability to synthesize different data to identify and articulate opportunities
- Flexible with regards to changing priorities & business needs
- Ability to identify and drive user research to better understand the needs and priorities of Embark customers
- Self-sufficient and action-oriented
- Experience using JIRA and agile methodologies
- Experience with web analytics required; experience with SQL a strong plus
- Self-starter excited about learning the genetics behind Embark's DNA results so that we can build the best product and experience for our customers
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but were passionate about people too. Were committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid maternal and paternal leave (plus paw-ternity leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
This person will report to the Director of Product, Core Consumer Experiences.
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.