Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM) is pioneering a new generation of additive manufacturing technologies focused on the production of end-use parts. We offer a portfolio of integrated additive manufacturing solutions for engineers, designers and manufacturers comprised of hardware, software, materials and services. Our solutions span use cases across the product life cycle, from product development to mass production and aftermarket operations, and they address an array of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer products, heavy industry, machine design and research and development. At Desktop Metal, we believe additive manufacturing, commonly referred to as 3D printing, is one of the most exciting and transformational technology innovations of our time.
Desktop Metal seeks a talented senior mechanical engineer to join our growing Sustaining Engineering team. The Sustaining Engineering team provides continuing engineering support for in-production products and transitional support for new product development. Provide ongoing support to Manufacturing to help resolve issues and improve process, manufacturing, and testing documentation. They must be comfortable working on a cross functional engineering team. Ideally, the candidate shall also be hands-on and comfortable with complex electromechanical systems.
- Design system components, including detailed drawings for manufacturing using best practices such as GD&T and DFM
- Create product requirements and qualify designs against specifications
- Perform validation testing to meet product requirements
- Oversee and execute all aspects of the product lifecycle through the phase gate process from concept generation through production fielding and eventual obsolescence
- Identify and execute design improvement and cost reduction projects
- Execute failure analyses and mitigation activities, utilizing industry best practices such as Six Sigma, Lean, Pareto, Fishbone, and CAPA.
- Maintain 3D CAD models and documentation of system architecture and components
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to perform detailed design and analysis
- Apply a strong analytical approach to the design process, including mechanics, thermals, and tolerance analysis.
- Review design documentation of New Product Development activities for production readiness.
- Maintain a high level of communication with cross-functional teams, partners, and suppliers
- Experience bringing a product through a full design cycle, from brainstorming through release.
- Thorough understanding and use of technical principles, theories, and concepts in mechanical and systems engineering
- Ability to identify, design and validate cost-saving opportunities against original design intent
- Broad exposure to mechanical design and development practices
- Working knowledge of manufacturing techniques such as injection molding, sheet metal fabrication, welding, traditional machining, and additive manufacturing
- Experience designing and documenting machined, sheet metal, and cast parts for prototypes and production
- Experience working with various suppliers to integrate components into system design
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
- Ability to apply customer and company-wide perspectives to detailed technical decisions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- BS/MS Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 5-7 years of experience in Mechanical Engineering
- Solidworks and PDM proficiency
- DFM and DTC
- Working knowledge of fluid systems
- Working knowledge of high-pressure systems
- Basic knowledge of vacuum systems
- PDM and PLM systems
- Hands-on machine build and operation experience
- Basic knowledge of electrical systems
At Desktop Metal, innovation is at the core of our DNA. And we believe ground-breaking discoveries are born from diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or disability.