Mission Summary :
iRobot is seeking a Materials Science Engineer with experience in Mechanical Design Integration. This is a key part of the Mechanical Engineering organization, as we build out this core competency. Close collaboration with other engineering disciplines along with team members from partner organizations such as Manufacturing Operations, Product Management, Systems Test, Industrial Design and User Experience make for an interesting and technically challenging environment. This position will help push the boundaries of consumer home robot design in ways that will enable us to bring a great user experience to our customers and growth to our company.
What You Will Do:
This position is focused on Materials Science. In this role, the Materials Science and Engineering Integrator will be responsible for consulting engineering teams in product advancement, root cause evaluation, and product and operational improvements. In addition to having deep analytical and technical knowledge in plastics and metals, the Materials Science and Engineering Integrator will have strong leadership and project management capabilities.
These skills will benefit the primary job duties of:
- Mechanical Engineering Design Consultation
- Establish organization-wide materials utilization strategy, building alignment across Engineering, Operations, Regulatory Compliance, and Industrial Design
- Aid Mechanical Engineers in selecting appropriate materials for a variety of use cases and thermal and mechanical loading conditions (primarily resins, elastomers, and metals)
- Educate Mechanical Engineers in the application and science of selecting materials for design.
- Critically review new materials requests and changes in applications, sourcing, and compliance
- Research and build understanding in potentially unfamiliar materials, coatings, plating, lubricants, and adhesives.
- Lead material and process development activities aiding in high-volume, low-cost production.
- Material Forensics and NDT Methods
- Lead and conduct engineering forensic material investigations from a variety of causes (including fatigue, overstress, thermal distress, foreign material presence, chemical attack, and corrosion)
- Advise upon laboratory equipment in-sourcing to augment efficiency and reduce investigation lead time.
- Advise outsourced consultants and agencies in NDT and destructive test methods to determine material failure root cause.
- Material Data Acquisition and Management
- Lead the aggregation of data to advance new material models for computer simulation of resins and elastomers, as well as fundamental mechanical properties of other materials.
- Generate Engineering Materials Standards and develop and maintain Materials Engineering procedures
- Manage outsourcing for materials test, interrogation, and validation.
- Interface with industry experts in materials applications
- Establish robust system for managing materials data and cataloging samples.
- Engage Optical Engineering, CAEA (Engineering Analysis), and Metrology (Mechanical Test) to aggregate test data.
- Materials Exploration and Sourcing
- Engage Supply Chain and Sourcing operations in selecting regional materials for globally distributed component production.
- Identify and research new and innovative materials for a variety of product uses.
- Establish materials strategy for regulatory compliance and corporate social responsibility.
To Be Successful You Will Have:
- Master of Science in Materials Science or Engineering, or equivalent educational experience. PhD in Materials Science or Engineering is preferred
- Substantial experience (10+ years) in Materials Science or Materials and Processes Engineering (substantial experience in injection molded plastics, elastomers, and metallurgy is preferred)
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational, communication and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated cross-functional integration with technical and business groups (Engineering, Engineering analysis, Manufacturing Operations, Sourcing and Compliance)
- Technical skillsets in risk identification, management, and mitigation (in both technical and business. related risks)
- Critical assessment skills in detailed mechanical design review, product definition review (engineering drawings and layouts), and systems test and data analysis.
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, as well as electronic collaboration tools (JIRA, Confluence, SharePoint)
- Willingness to travel internationally and domestically (one to three times per year, typically one week at a time)
In Return You Can Expect:
iRobot is a highly technical environment that moves with urgency, and the Mechanical Engineering team is a critical part of the engine that drives us forward. The ME teams are highly integrated with our partners in organizations that span engineering disciplines and a wide variety of functions from marketing to manufacturing. Bring your experience and high potential, and you are sure to learn and grow! iRobot has a wonderful environment that supports individual growth, fast progress, technical excellence, and a strong sense of community, which makes for a fun and rewarding experience every day!