iRobot is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer. You will participate in and provide technical leadership in the design of mechanical subsystems for state-of-the-art consumer robots. You should have expertise in product development for high volume manufacturing, use of plastics and commodity materials, engineering analysis, and global manufacturing
What You Will Do:
- Accurately estimate time for design tasks.
- Assist in translating product requirements into mechanical subsystem specifications and performance metrics.
- Conduct research and analysis, generating innovative technical solutions in creating a product that meets functional and aesthetic requirements.
- Generate creative design solutions to address complex problems.
- Understand and communicate technical risks and implement mitigation strategies.
- Use analysis tools including DFMEA, spreadsheets, FEA, and other simulation tools to predict design margins.
- Utilize statistical tolerance analysis to ensure proper fit and function.
- Generate mechanical layouts and detailed part design using 3D CAD (PTC Creo).
- PDM using PTC Windchill
- Conduct cross-functional design reviews.
- Verify designs early through rapid prototyping using several in-house rapid prototyping technologies and our extensive machine shop capabilities.
- Work with Reliability, Quality, and System Test teams on life testing and validation.
- Complete thorough documentation and archiving in the PDM system.
- Manage the details of transition to manufacturing including resolution of first article inspections and assembly issues.
- Initiate and process engineering change requests as needed.
- Lead/mentor the activities of one or two less experienced engineers.
To Be Successful You Will Have:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering (Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering preferred)
- 5 years minimum experience in product development of mechanical systems
- Strong 3D CAD capability, preferably using PTC Creo
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Strong leadership, organizational, communication and prioritization skills
- Experience in three out of the following
- Consumer product design experience
- Small mechanism design using motors, gears, bearings, wheels, linkages, etc.
- Fluid flow design fans, pumps, tubes, CFD methods
- Optics, light piping, light sensors and infrared light management
- Sensor systems, including rotational encoders, sonar, inertial, laser, vision
- Battery-powered portable vacuum cleaning systems
Other desirable areas of capability:
- ASME drafting standards, dimensional management methods and GD&T highly desirable
- Experience with use of CAE tools for virtual design iteration (structural, dynamic, thermal and fluids)
- Product Data Management (PTC Windchill, preferred)
- Design for Manufacturability, Injection Molding, Assembly, Serviceability, Recyclability
- Material selection, especially with plastics
- Mobile robotic platform development
- Applied programming experience (Python, Java, C++, etc.)
- Data collection and analysis
- Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.
- Design mock-up and rapid prototyping methods, such as Objet, SLA, SLS, FDM, machine shop usage
- Statistics, including Six Sigma, reliability engineering, DOE, comparison testing, Cp, Cpk,
- Structured problem-solving methods, including 8D, is/is-not, fault-tree and fish-bone analysis
- Modern office, with cafeteria, gym, and free electric car charging.
- State-of-the-art on-site rapid prototyping, machine shop and test lab capabilities.
- Minimal domestic travel required. Overseas travel to Hong Kong and adjacent China mainland occasionally (one to three times per year, typically one week at a time), with more frequent travel to Far East required when approaching production start (typically up to one week per month for three months).
In Return You Can Expect
iRobot is a highly technical environment that moves extremely fast, and the Mechanical Engineering team is a critical part of the engine that drives us forward. The ME teams are highly integrated with our partners in organizations that span engineering disciplines and a wide variety of functions from marketing to manufacturing. Bring your experience and high potential, and you are sure to learn and grow! iRobot has a wonderful culture that supports growth, fast progress, technical excellence, and a strong sense of community, which makes for a fun and rewarding experience every day!