Located 30 minutes outside of Boston, Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM) is pioneering a new generation of additive manufacturing technologies focused on the production of end-use parts. We offer a portfolio of integrated additive manufacturing solutions for engineers, designers and manufacturers comprised of hardware, software, materials and services. Our solutions span use cases across the product life cycle, from product development to mass production and aftermarket operations, and they address an array of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer products, heavy industry, machine design and research and development. At Desktop Metal, we believe additive manufacturing, commonly referred to as 3D printing, is one of the most exciting and transformational technology innovations of our time.
Desktop Metal is seeking a talented senior mechanical engineer to join us at this exciting stage of growth.
- Create product requirements and qualify designs against specifications
- Design system components, including detailed drawings for manufacturing using best practices and GD&T
- Transition prototypes into production level components, designing for manufacturing and cost
- Maintain 3D CAD models and documentation of system architecture and components
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to perform detailed design and analysis
- Apply a strong analytical approach to the design process, including mechanics, thermals and tolerance analysis.
- Lead FMEA and design reviews
- Maintain a high level of communications with cross-functional teams and partners
- Experience bringing a product through a full design cycle, from brainstorming through release.
- Thorough understanding and use of technical principles, theories, and concepts in mechanical and systems engineering
- Ability to identify, design and validate cost saving opportunities against original design intent
- Broad exposure to mechanical design and development practices
- Working knowledge of manufacturing techniques such as injection molding, sheet metal fabrication, welding, machining and 3D printing
- Experience designing and documenting machined, sheet metal, and cast parts for prototype and mass production
- Experience working with various suppliers to integrate components into system design
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
- Ability to apply customer and company-wide perspective to detailed technical decisions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- BS/MS Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Solidworks proficiency
- DFM and DTC
- Working knowledge of fluid systems
- Working knowledge of high pressure systems
- Basic knowledge of vacuum systems
- PLM systems
- Hands-on machine build and operation experience
- Basic knowledge of electrical systems
At Desktop Metal, innovation is at the core of our DNA. And we believe ground-breaking discoveries are born from diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.