Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, we make it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, dcor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Partnering with Product, Experience Design, Analytics, and business leaders across Wayfair, our Engineering teams ensure that were building technology that solves important customer problems in elegant, scalable, measurable ways. Shopping for your home can be overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case - it's visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 14 million products. Our software engineering teams work to make an extremely complex process seamless for our customers. Shopping for your home should be exciting, and we want every customer to come away feeling like they've found the perfect item for them.
What Will You Do?
- Addressing key areas of architectural vulnerability across our codebase.
- Leading development for complex project initiatives including new apps, migrations, and increased automation.
- Defining best practices and coding standards across the entire team
- Use data and metrics to collaboratively drive impactful changes across the application; work closely with product and engineering management to anticipate areas for improvement and investment, and highlight these for inclusion in the team's project roadmap.
- Reviewing code and providing guidance for other code reviewers participating in our release approval process.
- Working with designers and product managers in Wayfairs journey towards being a mobile-first development organization.
- Anticipating areas for improvement and investment, and highlighting these for inclusion in a teams project roadmap.
- Evaluate other frameworks and libraries for inclusion in our dev process.
- Contribute to open source projects.
- Work across fullstack, frontend, infrastructure, and Android to improve collaboration across tech stacks.
- Give back to the tech community by presenting talks at conferences and tech meetups.
How will you be challenged?
As an architect you will be a technical leader setting the direction for one of the largest Swift development teams in Boston. As we continue to grow, we have been tackling challenges of launching and supporting multiple apps, modularizing our code, and achieving feature parity across Android, web, and mobile web. We seek architects who are comfortable leading these efforts and building on the existing foundation of our award winning Wayfair app.
- We won a Webby for our genre-defining use of ARKit to help our customers find the best pieces to fit in their home.
- Our architects have been working together in re-architecting our apps into feature and infrastructure modules to help our team scale and reuse code within our growing ecosystem of native apps.
- We worked with marketing, backend and design to build a dynamic, scalable promotions system for supporting dozens of flash sales, visited by millions of customers shopping on our WayDay promotional holiday.
- We have been adopting GraphQL to provide more freedom and flexibility in optimizing our interactions with our backend APIs.
Who You Are:
- Mastery of Swift, an eagerness to share their expertise with others, and humility to always know that they can learn something new.
- At least 5+ years of professional iOS mobile development experience on publically available apps supported by RESTful web services.
- At least 10+ years of professional software development.
- At least 3+ year leading teams in a senior capacity (tech lead, architect)
- Have led the development of at least one app from ideation to launch and post launch.
- Had an active role in shaping the culture and technical standards of your engineering team.
- Experience working with different architectures (MVVM, MVC, VIPER, etc)
- Hands-on coding experience with PHP, SQL, and/or GraphQL
- Familiarity with building retail ecommerce app.
- Helpful if you have experience with developing on Android as well as iOS, and championing efforts to collaborate across stacks.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.