The world loves Postgres. If you work with developers or data scientists or anyone wrangling data, youll probably see a sticker with the tusks and trunk of the Postgres elephant on the lid of a nearby laptop. EDB has a lot to do with that.
Weve been major contributors to Postgres since the beginning, and we are proud to call thousands of boundary pushing customers our partners. Proud though we are, we are not resting on our laurels. Theres plenty of work to do. The good news is that everything we do will impact Postgres, which is to say that it will impact the world. No pressure.
Candidate note: This is a 100% Remote role for candidates based in the US
We are looking for a customer-focused Senior Migrations Consultant to support our North America Region, and who will work with our Enterprise Customers to deliver EDB migration technical services. The ideal candidate has a strong blend of people skills and in-depth knowledge of database migrations, database deployments; delivering migration deployments; and can translate client requirements into actionable designs. Communication skills, both written and verbal, are as important as technical skills. In addition to delivering technical services, this person in this role will provide feedback to sales and sales engineering for new business opportunities.
- Perform database Migrations from Oracle, SQL Server, and/or MySQL to PostgreSQL
- Evaluate customer deployments of Postgres, and associated tools, and make recommendations on how to improve them and document the required technical steps
- Lead scoping effort on schema conversion and data migration
- Work to develop Professional Services proposals to achieve customer needs/targets
- Familiarity with programming languages like C, C++, PHP, Python, Java and/or Ruby to guide customers in the development of custom Postgres-based applications
- Performance tuning for existing database deployments
- Work with customer to upgrade their application to the latest version of Postgres and configure / change their application to take advantage of new features
- Set up High Availability configurations using PostgreSQL
- Evaluate security needs by customer and make recommendations
- Document all work clearly and concisely in run-books and customer communications throughout the project
- Implement backup strategies and performs upgrades and patching
- Develop architectures to migrate data and entire databases; implement and deliver on the architecture migrating databases
- Role will involve travel to customer sites on very limited occasion
- Experienced working for a professional consulting organization or similar field
- Bachelors or Masters of Science in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
- At least four years of DBA level experience for PostgreSQL and/or Oracle
- Be well-versed in SQL and Procedural Languages (PL/PSQL or Pl/PgSQL)
- Strong understanding of any one of the procedural languages PL/SQL, T-SQL, and Pl/PgSQL.
- Foundational cloud experience with AWS and/or Azure
- Familiarity with end-to-end migration from one database to another, including assessment, schema conversion, data migration and validation.
- Familiarity with database design and building applications for PostgreSQL, Oracle, or other databases
- General system administration and performance skills for Linux, (Ubuntu, Centos, Red Hat, or Debian), including facility with scripting
- Strong time management skills, and the ability to balance multiple coincident demands
- Willingness to travel to customers (limited amount of time, only when required)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
We know it takes a unique mix of people and skills to help us in our mission to supercharge Postgres, and we understand that not everyone will check every box. Wed love to hear from you and we want you to apply!
EDB is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. EDB was built on a commitment to trust and respect each other and to embrace an array of people and ideas. These values remain at the center of our culture and are key to our companys integrity.
Our US benefits package is listed here - additional benefits packages available upon request