Wayfair Data Engineering is the engine that powers an eCommerce enterprise obsessed with data. We move fast, iterating quickly on big business problems. Data Engineering efforts are instrumental in further growing our market share in a $300 billion home goods market. Every day, we ingest billions of rows of data about how people pick out the perfect items for their home, and this data is what drives our business strategies and decisions. We build cutting-edge data platforms enabling advanced analytics and insights across our business and analytics teams.
Were looking for an experienced senior leader with expertise in Data Engineering at scale, who will develop and execute a long-term strategy for reliable, performant, and scalable data platforms at Wayfair. In this role, you will bring extensive experience in both, technical delivery on data and a strong customer-centric approach to product management. Working within the Data Engineering organization, this individual will tightly partner with business leaders to understand their long-term goals and build data platforms enabling these goals. The data leader should have a long history of successfully building and executing on engineering roadmaps, designing and launching products, and be an expert on modern data engineering. The data leader should also be a product athlete, understanding key product management techniques, mentoring, and leading the data team.
Data & Analytics Platform: The data leader will oversee the development of the Data Platform and assets across Marketing, Storefront, B2B. In this role, you will own and build the long-term vision for what a world-class data platform looks like. You will build and prioritize a roadmap to get our data engineering teams to that ideal state, enabling critical decision-making by data consumers and algorithms. You will put mechanisms in place to ensure your org delivers high-quality, scalable, and performant data models and pipelines. Your mission is to empower internal business and analytics teams to efficiently leverage the data platform, and bring technology innovation and expertise to advance the data and analytics technology stack within Wayfair.
Innovation: We tackle e-commerce specific challenges in the analytics and applied data science domain such as the real-time, ever-changing nature of our data and complex business decisions. This org will own building, applying, and advancement of industry-best data engineering techniques to invent new data assets and systems that can be used to improve various experiences for our customers. You will work with our data engineers to innovate and build new data models and data pipelines, improve and enhance existing data systems as well as discover new opportunities to apply analytics and data science to solve critical problems.
Collaboration/Partner Teams: Beyond leading the team of data engineers, you will also be expected to partner cross-functionally with advanced analytics, software engineering, data science, and other key teams to build a high-value roadmap of innovation for your organization. You will be expected to drive forward with your own agenda and roadmap for Data Engineering while fitting in with the larger scope of Wayfair. You will ensure effective communication and high-performing teamwork across organizations, leveraging tried and tested processes and techniques from your past. You will lead data and analytics platform adoption, recommendations, aligning strategic technical decisions, and will guide engineers and product managers with your technical expertise by performing design reviews and ideation. You will mentor, coach, and grow staff with core data and advance the analytics competencies across Wayfair.
Lead and Recruit: You will build and lead the Data Engineering organization of diverse, smart, and driven data experts including data engineers and data product managers. Were looking for a leader who can potentially hire, mentor, and grow data engineers, product managers, and software engineers. In this role, you will partner with recruiting to establish a recruiting framework to hire data experts in your team.
What youll do
- Own and develop technical architecture, design, and implementation of big data platforms and business analytics solutions to empower your stakeholders to solve problems through self-service reporting.
- Collaborate with your stakeholders and other engineering leaders to define and develop the data architecture roadmap for the functional area that you support.
- Use modern platforms and tools including Google BigQuery/Google Cloud Platform, Atscale, and Looker to design and implement appropriate end-to-end data architecture, data pipelines, and self-service reporting solutions.
- Act as a subject matter expert to leadership for technical guidance, solution design, and best practices within the Marketing and Storefront organization.
- Be a technical mentor to junior engineers and expose the team to new opportunities, while still being able to dependably deliver on ongoing goals. Keep current on big data and data visualization technology trends, evaluate, work on proof-of-concept and make recommendations on the technologies based on their merit
Who you are:
- Advanced SQL and programming experience with Python, Java, or equivalent scripting language
- Experience developing in cloud platforms such as Google Cloud Platform (preferred), AWS, Azure, or Snowflake at scale.
- Solid experience designing and implementing DW Architecture, OLAP technologies, star/snowflake-schemas to enable self-service reporting.
- Experience with real-time data streaming tools like Kafka, Kinesis, Apache Storm, or any similar tools.
- Experience with big data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, MongoDB, or other open-source big data tools.
- Experience architecting data solutions utilizing BI tools like Looker, Tableau, AtScale, PowerBI, or any similar tools.
- Strong business acumen, critical thinking, and ability to work cross-functionally through collaboration with engineering and business partners.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills as youll be regularly interacting with Marketing and Storefront leadership.
- Previous experience in eCommerce is a plus
- 3+ years of Data Architecture experience working in partnership with large data sets (5+TB highly desired)
- 3+ years of experience leading or mentoring technical teams.
- Bachelors or Masters in quantitative disciplines such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Analytics, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Systems, or other scientific fields.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.