The Metrics Engine team oversees the extraction of data to evaluate the behavior of our av-stack, all the way from devising the metric formulation based on traffic laws, ethics and safety, to extracting the information necessary to compute these metrics from the logs. Beyond evaluating system-level behavior, we also derive metrics to evaluate subsystems that collectively participate to AV system behavior.
As we are outputting a growing amount of metrics at various stages of the development process, our team is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to analyze the progression of our av-stack performance with respect to those metrics, and surface key trends. This person will get to make reports and recommendations that are of direct interest to many different teams across the organization, including leadership.
What youll be doing:
- Analyze the output of our metric evaluator to provide high-level insights on the progress of our stack
- Communicate with the Testing, Operations, and Autonomy teams to understand their day-to-day analysis needs
- Provide recommendations on how to design experiments to get a stronger signal from the metrics
- Question the results of certain metrics, dig into their formulations and contribute to improving them regularly
What were looking for:
- MSc in Statistics, Math, Physics, Computer Science or equivalent + 3 years of experience in data science in a tech-heavy industry
- Python/Julia experience in statistical analysis
- Commitment to rigorous analysis - if assumptions need to be made to infer results, they should be spelled out
- Ability to communicate clearly to non-domain experts about potentially complex behaviors
- An interest in contributing to the metric formulation and implementation
Bonus points (but not necessary):
- Experience in evaluating human or autonomous driving behavior
- Experience in robotics
Why you should join us:
- Opportunity to present results to executives and leaders across the organization
- Opportunity to shape the technical roadmap towards a better product
- Be part of a rapidly growing team that interfaces with many branches of the organization
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. Were behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, its imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motionals success. Thats why weve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.