The Pricing & Profitability Algorithms unit at Wayfair is seeking a leader to run a team of data science engineers and analysts. This particular role focuses on providing strategic thought leadership and conducting algorithm development of our search recommendation systems. It involves directing a team of new and seasoned data experts, wrangling large amounts of data and working with senior leadership on strategic analyses and interpretation of data insights.
Algorithms is a group of highly-trained data scientists within the Pricing & Profitability team immersed in solving problems with the highest business impact. These are often the most challenging problems facing a rapidly growing internet leader with millions of customers. We develop systems responsible for dynamically adjusting the prices and amount of exposure on the internet’s largest e-commerce selection of more than 7 million home goods, and also for forecasting the profitability impact of these strategic decisions. We work daily with terabytes of data on historical browsing patterns, customer orders and real-time competitor information. The team controls all stages in the life-cycle of a project from ideation, to execution, to analysis and monitoring. At its core, Pricing & Profitability leverages on data and predictive analytics solutions to hit company financial goals and optimize our value offering to customers.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- A proven track record of proactively driving business outcomes
- Experience working with both business and technical partners
- A hands-on attitude in working with large, complex datasets and technical solutions
- Leading workflows of data scientists and engineers responsible for designing and executing centralized algorithmic solutions
- Serving as a consultative partner to business and product leaders to understand needs and coordinate analyses that establish the strategy and design of effective solution frameworks
- Understanding ins-and-outs of working with distributed systems and guiding application of data mining and machine learning techniques towards producing deep insights
- Experience with direct reports in a corporate, start-up, or research environment
- BA/BS/MS/or PhD, with strong academic record preferred in area of heavy quantitative focus such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Economics, Statistics
- An affinity for data. Experience leveraging statistics and robust methodology a plus
- Experience with Python, R, etc. (programming languages relevant to data science) and familiarity with SQL, Hadoop, etc. (relational databases and distributed systems)
- Demonstrated track record as a quick, confident learner with intense intellectual curiosity, analytical approach to solving problems and good communication skills
- Wants to work hard, be challenged in a fast-paced environment, and have fun while at it
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of brands includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, a go-to online source making modern design more accessible
- DwellStudio, a design house with a decidedly modern vibe
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $3.14 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended September 30, 2016. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 5,600 people.