Each year in America, healthcare businesses waste millions of hours and billions of dollars trying to get payments right. Our flexible software and accurate data feeds help clients eliminate this administrative waste, work more closely with their partners, and ultimately, provide more certainty for people at the point of care. By joining us in fixing these problems, you’ll directly help improve America’s healthcare system, with the benefits felt by all Americans. At Burgess, you will have a positive impact on the world.
Your Contributions Truly Matter
We’re a growing company, so you’ll be given plenty of creative freedom and the opportunity to thrive—everything you do will count.
The Data Team works with the Production DBA to make sure that Production Data is the correct source of truth. The team integrates data from various sources such as CMS.gov, Medicaid.gov, American Medical Association (AMA), third party vendors into the Burgess Group data infrastructure. Data Engineer manages the flow of the data transforming raw data into useful information. The team must understand how the data is consumed and how the data is transformed into information. All schema changes in the organization must be approved by the team before developers can merge changes into the master branch.
What the Role Involves (Responsibilities)
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources such as flat files, excel, Access, PDF, XML, JSON, EDI etc.
- Create and maintain complex T-SQL scripts, stored procedures, functions, views, triggers, CTEs, Recursive table expressions etc. to handle large and complex datasets.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture for various Burgess applications, provide channels and processes that pushes this data to various applications and are responsible for the integrity of the data.
- Implement best practices for data updates and development, troubleshoot performance and other data related issues on multiple product applications.
- Automate manual routine tasks and data process, optimize data delivery and infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Develop reports on data dictionary, server metadata, user data etc. and implement the reporting tools as needed.
- Work with stakeholders including the Product, Payment Policy, DBAs, QA, client services to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Must be able to read the C# code as well as stored procedures to help developers troubleshoot bugs and explain how the data impacts functionality to the clients.
- Must be willing to use a variety of tools to move data that includes SSIS, Powershell scripts, Python modules, and build tools from scratch.
- Works, daily, with Agile Scrum software development methodology and updates time data within Sprint cycles to assure consistent and accurate delivery of Healthcare data and software.
- Updated and run internal utilities used for data/website monitoring. The position is accountable for monitoring of CMS and other websites for data updates. This includes manual check, along with maintenance of automated tools to monitor website activity.
- Responsible for ensuring that the internal data Repository is organized and up to date.
What You’ve Got (Qualifications & Skills)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, Mathematics, Statistics, or similar quantitative field
- 7+ years of experience with MS SQL, SSMS, SSIS, SSRS, SSDT, Powershell and applying it to the software development process
- 4+ years of experience with industry standard version control system tools like Git, Bit Bucket
- 2+ years of experience with some cloud services like Azure and AWS
- 2+ years of experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages like Python.
Who You Are (Ideal Competencies/Skills)
Creative entrepreneur. You have a constant drive to make things better; you question the status quo and approach common challenges with creativity and constructive criticism. You have skills to clearly and convincingly share ideas in a way that adapts to your audience, regardless of function, level, or expertise.
- Critical, big-picture thinker. You have a constant thirst for knowledge and the ability to credibly share it with others, whether internally or externally. You are analytical, evaluating logic-based details while always considering and problem-solving for the sake of the big picture.
- Self-starter. You are proactive, self-motivated, and able to push work, start initiatives, and provide ideas independently in a team environment.
- Team player & coach. You can foster professional and personal respect from others and find success in a team setting. While highly collaborative, you have natural management skills and know how to grow and develop people.
- Adaptable multi-tasker. You are highly organized and flexible. You know how to manage expectations and are able to thrive in fast-paced, constantly changing environments and successfully adapt to a variety of tasks.
How We Work (Team & Culture)
- We work together and help each other do our best by building on our work across teams and offices. We don’t own individual ideas or seek credit.
- User-driven. We place our clients and our users’ needs above all else. If it matters to a user, it matters to us. We work for them, and keep ourselves accountable to that.
- Hands-on. We don’t wait for problems to solve themselves. We enter the thick of it and get things done.
- Impact over ego.Our culture is about results, not ownership. Great ideas have seniority over titles and levels, and great thinkers outshine fancy pedigrees.
- Forward-looking.We look beyond our own world to constantly improve our business. We welcome outside speakers, tap into the latest tech, and make sure we’re future-proof in anticipation of what’s coming next.
- Caring & close knit.We know and care about our people. We know each other’s project strengths—but also about upcoming family trips and favorite after-work drinks.