We are looking for a commercial real estate lawyer to join our in-house legal team and support our rapidly-growing global business. Youll provide legal support on a diverse array of real estate matters, across all asset classes in our portfolio. Principal duties include: providing end-to-end strategic support and market-based guidance on all aspects our real estate transactions; drafting and negotiating highly complex commercial real estate documents, including letters of intent, leases and subleases, work letters, renewal and expansion agreements, indemnification agreements, SNDAs and estoppels, and construction contracts; advising on diligence, zoning and permitting matters; providing day-to-day support on legal matters related to the ongoing maintenance of our real estate portfolio; and counseling cross-functional stakeholders on risk, strategy and transaction outcomes. This lawyer would join a new practice group within the legal team, have a high degree of autonomy and responsibility within their role, and own and drive high-value, highly-visible matters critical to Wayfairs growth and geographic expansion. A successful candidate will be hard-working, pragmatic, and solutions-oriented and have a strong background in commercial real estate and a keen sense of market dynamics and outcomes for the industrial, office and retail markets.
The role will be based in our Boston office, but will initially be remote / work-from-home given the current COVID environment. Optional hybrid work schedule available upon full return to work.
In this role you will:
- Partner closely with business stakeholders within the real estate group to support internal legal requests and organizational initiatives.
- Develop strategies for handling complex problems in creative, business-centric ways and leverage resources and technology to build processes that address risk and enable fast and flexible growth.
- Learn our business and develop and deploy a calibrated, risk-based approach to complex and often uncertain legal issues.
- Where appropriate, act as the bridge between outside counsel and internal stakeholders to drive cost-effective and business-oriented solutions.
Description of ideal candidate:
- 5+ years of legal experience as a commercial real estate lawyer and significant experience drafting and negotiating industrial, office and retail leases.
- J.D. with top academic credentials and membership with at least one state bar.
- Experienced negotiator and tenacious and persuasive advocate for company positions, both verbally and in writing.
- Highly-effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills. Embraces challenging situations with a solutions-oriented mindset. Able to quickly build trust with stakeholders.
- Pragmatic and creative problem-solver for both legal and business issues.
- Organized and able to prioritize, multi-task, meet deadlines and maintain flexibility in a fast-paced, ambiguous and changing environment.
- Self-motivated to seek out challenges and pursue excellent outcomes; willing to roll-up sleeves, pitch-in and tackle problems of all shapes and sizes.
- Enthusiastically seeks and integrates feedback and incorporates prior learnings to continuously improve.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.