Fortify is a dynamic venture-backed 3D printing startup with a passionate team of engineers and business professionals who are at the forefront of bringing new technologies to market. Founded in 2016 and located in Boston, Fortifys team is transforming the 3D printing industry with its patented DCM (Digital Composite Manufacturing) platform, enabling new material properties and components which can't be made using other additive or traditional manufacturing processes. Fortify was recently recognized as one of the BostonInno companies on Fire by Boston Business Journal and featured in Forbes. To learn more about Fortify visit, www.3DFortify.com.
Summary of Position:
We are looking for a Senior Ceramics Scientist to join our dynamic, growing, applications focused team. Our next team member will have deep expertise in ceramic materials including feedstock selection, particle physics, resin formulation, thermal processing, and densification. You will be the focal point for developing our next generation of ceramic materials for our Flux printers. Your expertise will drive the maturation of our current printer and materials technologies, develop state of the art end-to-end workflows, and scope next generation ceramics opportunities. More broadly, you will be a key technical pillar on an energetic and dedicated engineering team tasked with unlocking our highest potential applications. You will report directly to the Director of Materials and Process Engineering, closely collaborate with our applications and operations teams, and be located at our Boston HQ.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Focal point for all ceramic materials development at Fortify from raw ingredient selection to finished parts
- Mature Fortifys world class material/printer platforms to enable our current scope of target ceramic applications
- Conduct research and development of application focused ceramics technologies to unlock strategic green-field opportunities
- Design, perform, and analyze experiments to drive enhanced printer, material, and application performance
- Create the future of post-processing technology for resin based ceramic printing systems
- Seamlessly engage with application, hardware and software teams to ensure end-to-end workflow success
- Mentor junior scientists and engineers
Skills and Experiences:
- 3+ years of experience in a technical leadership role
- 5+ years of experience developing and scaling application focused ceramics products and technology
- Engineering expert with demonstrated expertise maturing ceramics technology in production environments
- Ph.D., M.S. or highly-qualified B.S. in chemical engineering, materials science, ceramics engineering/science, or related field
- Willingness to independently drive towards clarity in an ambiguous and cross-functional environment
- Superior teammate, collaborator, communicator, and teacher
- Detail oriented and highly reliable approach to data collection and documentation
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities
- Critical thinker that challenges status quo
- Experience with document control
Highly Desirable Attributes:
- Familiarity with DLP 3D printing technology
- Track record of successfully translating 3D printing technology from R+D to scale
- Working knowledge of 3D printing post-processing workflows
- Comfortable interfacing materials technology with state of the art hardware and software
- Affinity to contribute to creation of intellectual property, including patents
- A real desire to meaningfully contribute to environmental, health, and safety efforts at Fortify
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary and equity stake in a fast-growing business
- Premium Medical and Dental
- FSA and Commuter Benefits available
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO/WFH Policies
- Participation in bringing game changing technology to the world
Please note that benefits will be different for hourly positions.
Our offices are located in the heart of Charlestown within Hood Park and directly next to the Hood milk stack. The park is currently undergoing a major transformation to include retail, dining, and green space (check out the plans https://hoodpark.com/).
Think you have what it takes, but dont check every box? Please apply anyway! Lets chat you could bring just the perspective we needed.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.