Chewy is hiring a Senior Software Engineer - Java for our Storefront Cart & Checkout E-Commerce team in Boston, MA. The expectations of the prospective candidate will be the design, development, testing, implementation, and support of applications and related integrations. In this role, the ideal candidate will engage in iterative development, testing, and make contributions to the growth and development of one of Chewys fastest growing areas. This energetic individual will partner with both technical and business teams on multiple initiatives and collaborate to deliver new features and enhancements. This energetic individual will partner with both technical and business teams on multiple initiatives and collaborate to deliver new features and enhancements.
What you'll Do:
- Develop in-depth knowledge of several Chewy business processes and systems environment
- Act in the capacity of a software engineer to actively participate in the definition, design, development, testing and implementation of software functionality using the Agile methodology
- Create or modify complex programs, modules, routines, scripts and data objects from a detailed design where efficiency, performance and reliability are critical
- Work with and advise both business and technology teams (internal and external) on how best to implement desired features and enhancements
- Ensure that technical solutions follow best practices, are reliable, are easily maintainable and are scalable under sustained load
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Collaborate to identify, isolate and resolve malfunctions related to software
- Conduct knowledge transition on solutions to the designated application support team(s)
- Create and evolve application documentation as required
- Operate in compliance with IT standards, policies, procedures, and best practices
What You'll Need
- Bachelors Degree (MIS or CS preferred) or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of full software development lifecycle experience including the ability to perform independent analysis
- 5+ years of experience developing applications in web technologies (Java 8+, Spring Boot, Hibernate, Tomcat)
- 5+ years of experience in SQL and developing applications with relational database technologies (PostGres preferred)
- 5+ years of experience working web server technologies
- 5+ years of experience working with web services (SOAP/HTTP, REST)
- Hands-on experience leading the design, development and deployment of business software at scale
- Be a hands-on Engineer spending significant percentage of their time writing code or debugging tricky issues.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills & a working knowledge of design patterns
- Experience with designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available systems.
- Experience with cloud & orchestration technologies (AWS Services, Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or Electrical Engineering
- Experience in e-commerce
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus.
- Good communication skills with both technical and business audiences.
- Experience with OpenAPI, Swagger, or stoplight.io
- Experience with configuration and deployment management via Terraform or Ansible and be hands on technology infrastructure, network, compute, storage, and virtualization experience.
- Infrastructure automation through DevOps scripting (E.g. shell, Python, Ruby, Powershell)
- Experience with data analysis/mining in large scale database environments a plus.
- Familiarity with modern tools and environments (e.g., JSON 3 API, Chaos Engineering, web services, version control systems, bug/issue tracking tools).
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture
- Familiarity with Quality Assurance methodologies and automated testing using tools such as Selenium/Jmeter
- Exposure to working in a retail.
- Experience working directly with non-IT business partners
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com