Who We Are
ButcherBox is a fast-paced, rapidly-growing company headquartered in Brighton, MA. At ButcherBox, we believe in better. That’s why we deliver 100% grass-fed, grass-finished beef, free-range organic chicken, pork raised crate-free, and wild-caught seafood directly to our members’ doors. All of our products are humanely raised or wild-caught and never given antibiotics or added hormones ever.
We’re working to build a world that’s better for all, and we’re inviting everyone to come along. For us, better means treating our planet with respect. It means improving the lives of animals and the livelihoods of farmers. It means never cutting corners when it comes to doing business. Ultimately, it means better meals, enjoyed together. Our team is made up of people who collaborate and support one another. We’re always looking for outstanding people to join our mission!
About the Role
This role will work cross-functionally with Retail Sales, Marketing, Member Insights, FSQA, Procurement and Operations to support successful development of new products and continual improvement of existing products. They will be instrumental in driving revenue, increasing member satisfaction, and pushing the business forward with creative and innovative product offerings.
The successful candidate will coordinate the development of cutting strategies, flavor profiles, packaging, shelf-life parameters and final product specifications for new products; conduct detailed audits and sensory reviews of current production and reference samples; and optimize the performance of current products and packaging.
- Develop new ready-to-cook and ready-to-eat frozen products through established network of vendors, and new vendors as needed
- Identify new opportunities to increase carcass utilization, improve yield and streamline the supply chain of raw and finished products
- Assess suitability of proposed and existing vendor partners for new SKU development including existing product portfolio, production capabilities, and strategic partnerships
- Develop specifications for new products & support selection of packaging parameters
- Manage the R&D portion of the Product Initiation Group (PIG) process
- Identify equipment needs and research
- Optimize performance of current products and packaging
- Participate in internal Label Approvals for all new products
- Manage electronic process for sample request and development
- Conduct routine sensory panels for existing and pilot products against reference samples
- Investigate different meat cutting strategies which add value and/or increase yield
- Manage approval of new products by key internal stakeholders and actions required to move products towards commercialization
- Enter, analyze and describing product development data – internally and externally
- Supervise integration of new product into commerce – train Operations and QA personnel
- Stay abreast of developing industry trends in ingredients, flavors, culinary and packaging
Note: travel between production facilities is required. This is a remote role - you will be responsible for maintaining an inventory of frozen products in development at your home
- 5+ years in experience in food product development or commercialization & 10 or more years in meat or poultry fabrication
- Working experience of clean label ingredients, flavor development, protein portioning, cooking platforms, and individual portion packaging strategies
- Working experience with retail product labeling, and FDA and USDA labeling requirements
- Experience writing and interpreting red meat, pork, poultry and seafood specifications
- Strong digital literacy -- proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Proficiency in data management
- Deep working knowledge of product lotting, identity preservation and traceability
- Bachelor's Degree in Animal Science, Meat Science, Food Science or Culinology
- Master's Degree in Animal Science, Meat Science or Food Science preferred
- Working experience of red meat, pork, poultry and seafood HACCP preferred
What We Offer
ButcherBox strives to maintain a supportive and encouraging environment. We value autonomy and transparency, and allow our employees access to all levels of the organization. We're an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of the steps we've taken and continue to take to promote diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We're open to remote work, and even encourage our in-office employees to work from home a couple days a week.
*Due to current circumstances regarding COVID-19, all of our employees are working 100% remotely for the foreseeable future
- Health: medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, an employer-funded HSA, and short & long-term disability benefits
- Financial: 401(k) with generous employer match, an annual discretionary performance bonus, profit bonus, and equity ownership in the company
- Time off: unlimited paid time off policy, an executive team that encourages a good work/life balance
- Personal growth: professional development opportunities, including free access to online learning programs
- Food: a free Custom Classic ButcherBox each month and weekly lunch reimbursement
- Others: subsidized commuter benefits and reimbursement for wellness membership
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure all individuals are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.